Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Coils for the rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default Coils for the rear

I currently have a 4.5 inch lift on my jeep and just reacently bought matching axles for my jeep. what i want to do is truss both the front and rear axles D30 D35 (and yes i know its not the greatest combo, but its my favorite.) and put a triangulated 4 link in the rear and make a 4 link for the front and have the same size arms for the front as the rear. i know doing this will eliminate my need for leaf springs in the back and have decided to run coils like a TJ.

My real question is if i want to go to 5.5 inches of lift what size springs will i need for the back end?

sorry for the long post, your imput will be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

how is a d35 your favorite?

you will have the axle and putting completely new bracketry on it anyway, why not put link mounts on an axle that isnt notorious for breaking under minimal stress?

anyway

there is no set coil anybody can reccomend that will give you exactly 5.5". depends on where your coil buckets are mounted, spring rates, weight of the rig and whatnot.

BUT stock xj front coils mounted to the bottom of the frame and pretty close to the axle tube net about 7.5" on a semi-loaded rig.

tj front coils are about 1" shorter than xj coils

tj rear coils are about 2-3" shorter than tj front coils.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Question

tobe honest with you i have never had any probs with my d35 and im pretty rough on my rig.

anyway

i know i wount get exactly the right lift but from what i can gather my rear ends probly weighs about the same as a tj, so with that said i plan to mount the upper buckets the same way a tj would, below the frame. if i end up having my rear end a little lower then my front im ok with that. also im goin to truss that whole rear end all the way down both sides and throw some disk brakes onto it, i was just curious if anybody else had done this. but KTMracer, am i correct in thinking that a 7.5 inch lift rear tj sring give me about 5 inches of lift?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

Originally Posted by jeep.kevin
tobe honest with you i have never had any probs with my d35 and im pretty rough on my rig.

anyway

i know i wount get exactly the right lift but from what i can gather my rear ends probly weighs about the same as a tj, so with that said i plan to mount the upper buckets the same way a tj would, below the frame. if i end up having my rear end a little lower then my front im ok with that. also im goin to truss that whole rear end all the way down both sides and throw some disk brakes onto it, i was just curious if anybody else had done this. but KTMracer, am i correct in thinking that a 7.5 inch lift rear tj sring give me about 5 inches of lift?
rockkrawler suggests using a 2'' tj rear coil on thier set up. nets about 6.5'' when mounted on the bottom of the frame........so one would think a 1'' rear tj coil spring would net 5.5'' if mounted on the bottom of the frame.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

ive seen this done before. i knew getting into this that it was goin to get complicated, but what i would hate is to get coil spring and its too big and my rig looks all draged out or sag in the rear. but thanks for the help guys. anymore input will be greatly appreciated. do anyof your know anybody that makes an upper coil mount with a bump stop all on it?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

do anyof your know anybody that makes an upper coil mount with a bump stop all on it?
you will be doing plenty of fab work to begin with. just make one

pretty simple compared to everything else you are planning on
Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

would a piece of tubing in the center of a flat round steel work? and then somehow put a bump stop on the end of the tube?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered Users

would a piece of tubing in the center of a flat round steel work? and then somehow put a bump stop on the end of the tube?

go to rockkrawler.com and look at thier rear coil conversion.......look at the pics of the mounts they use. will give you a good idea of how to make them.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Question

Originally Posted by xjbones
go to rockkrawler.com and look at thier rear coil conversion.......look at the pics of the mounts they use. will give you a good idea of how to make them.
hmm. thier design seems pretty simple, i dont want to buy a kit, and they dont sell or say where they got that bump stop, if i could get one it would make this delema so easy. ti be honest after my long arm build i think it would only take me a week max, and that includes me goin to work. i have the axles im gonna use so i can work on those as much as i need to and still drive thats the nice part. also, if i lift it should i just make a taller trac bar mount and call it good instad of getting another trac bar?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered Users

hmm. thier design seems pretty simple, i dont want to buy a kit, and they dont sell or say where they got that bump stop, if i could get one it would make this delema so easy. ti be honest after my long arm build i think it would only take me a week max, and that includes me goin to work. i have the axles im gonna use so i can work on those as much as i need to and still drive thats the nice part. also, if i lift it should i just make a taller trac bar mount and call it good instad of getting another trac bar?

the pics show the bumpstop....its pretty much like the front one. im sure you could use a stock front bumpstop.

i would buy a good quality trac bar or your not gonna get the full benifit of long arms.....tie rod end trac bars bind way before a heim with double shear mount. then you willnot bind at full flex!!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

ballisticfabrication.com ... make one of there mounts work...
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I'll post you a link to a company that makes the kit to change over to coils in rear. It uses tj rear factory coils for 4.5" and you can just buy whatever coil you need to obtain the lift you are looking for.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Here is the link it will take you right to the site and you will be able to see what you need as far as parts go. Hope this is helpful.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-01-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-Rear-Coil-Conversion-Kit-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439c2d4136QQitem Z290383020342QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

We have RK dealers right here on this site that can do better than that.

Rear ZJ springs are another option for you. You will just have to figure a way to center & retain the lower portion of the coil.

Not sure why you would want to build up a D35 --- but if that is what makes you happy.

Joe
Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by EndlessMtnFab
We have RK dealers right here on this site that can do better than that.

Rear ZJ springs are another option for you. You will just have to figure a way to center & retain the lower portion of the coil.

Not sure why you would want to build up a D35 --- but if that is what makes you happy.

Joe

lol... i knew you was gonna jump on that...

Quick Reply: Coils for the rear