Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Bumper Options..

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper Options..

Im fixing to purchase a plasma cutter and a band saw, once i do, im gonna fab up a few sets of bumpers like i did for my XJ. Wanted to ask around and see what people thought of mine and if there are any small details they would want diffrent from how i did this first set, say without clevis tabs or even the reciever adapter... Here they are..

When i fab up back bumpers, the gap between it and the stock tail lights will be filled in, i didnt do this on mine because i planned on making the tail light boxes to fill it in instead, like shown.. Also, would you want a unibody tie in for the back?..

Once i purchase the rest of the metal working tools, it will take me some time to get all the templates and jig setup. I plan to start off with bumpers, then include other things such as sliders, tail light boxes, but for now like the old saying "you gotta crawl before you walk".
Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I love the bumpers but would only want the receiver on the rear personally.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM

i like the rear a lot, i wonder however if the tail light filler section will be the same for the 97+ as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:50 AM

I will need a receiver hitch mount in the front, because I will be using a winch mounted on a plate to pull from the front or rear, and I can store the winch inside while not in use.

I love these bumpers.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl

WOW, not to blow up any egos or anything, but those are EXACTLY what I want!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Year: 1997

I like that front bumper a lot. Are you using a press brake to get that nice radius look on the top edge?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Engine: 4.0L

How much you thinking for a set with receiver and tabs? Front and rear?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

I like the looks of those bumpers. I believe you would want a tie in to the uni-body. It will make the bumper stronger and more useful. The option for recievers front and back will make your product more desirable to a wider range of customers as would the option of the clevis points. Also the option of a front hoop so people could mount lights.

You could do many different types of bumpers but just by haveing the basic options mentioned will appeal to a wide range of people.

Does the front and back clevis points tie into the uni-body?

Last edited by wildspear; 01-24-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the replys and better understanding of what people do like. The clevis tabs on the set i pictured are not tied in, alot of people wouldnt like that, but i trust my welding, so when i do begin to build some bumpers they will be tied in with the brackets/unibody.

I built these bumpers about a year and ahalf ago, i did have build pictures of them but when my old computer crashed, somehow i lost the photobucket account i had with it. But ive noticed sense i built these, a few people on here have been fab'n up what looks to be about the same. The edges on mine were rolled like that, given they are really fork lift fork extenders.

Im not sure on '97 up, i will check into that, i do plan to fab up sets to meet all needs no matter the year model. Ive just gotta finish off the majority of metal working tools, pick up the steel and get the process going. Recently i had quite a few request that i build them bumpers like mine and didnt have the time, well with some of the connections i have, i have decided on starting my own small buisness doing it, like said before, im gonna start out small with just bumpers, get a feel with things, then start on other products.

Also, the back bumper is flat, but the front bumper is notched on each side of the reciever adapter and bent back to go more along the contour of the header panel. When i did it, i had a old header panel laying around that i used to get it prety close.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:21 PM

I would for sure get one of the front ones, with no hitch, but a way to mount lights would be nice.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Year: 2000

when you built the bumpers on the xj pictured what type of metal or materials did you use im new into fabing and like to make a set of bumpers with my dad hes going to do all the work tho on my first set just to be safe lol
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM

They both look great. I would be interested in a back bumper. Would you offer it with wrap around sides for cut quarter panels?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey
Thanks for the replys and better understanding of what people do like. The clevis tabs on the set i pictured are not tied in, alot of people wouldnt like that, but i trust my welding, so when i do begin to build some bumpers they will be tied in with the brackets/unibody.

I built these bumpers about a year and ahalf ago, i did have build pictures of them but when my old computer crashed, somehow i lost the photobucket account i had with it. But ive noticed sense i built these, a few people on here have been fab'n up what looks to be about the same. The edges on mine were rolled like that, given they are really fork lift fork extenders.

Im not sure on '97 up, i will check into that, i do plan to fab up sets to meet all needs no matter the year model. Ive just gotta finish off the majority of metal working tools, pick up the steel and get the process going. Recently i had quite a few request that i build them bumpers like mine and didnt have the time, well with some of the connections i have, i have decided on starting my own small buisness doing it, like said before, im gonna start out small with just bumpers, get a feel with things, then start on other products.

Also, the back bumper is flat, but the front bumper is notched on each side of the reciever adapter and bent back to go more along the contour of the header panel. When i did it, i had a old header panel laying around that i used to get it prety close.
Do you think you can put your photos back up in you old build thread for the front bumper? I saw them in the past but was wondering how it was built again.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Inline Six

how much for the front/rear bumper? I am really interested in buying them
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM

Year: 2001

They look good..