Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Building recovery bumpers with pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0ho
Default Building recovery bumpers with pics

another thread transfer from jeepforum. There are pictures missing, but i'll be taking a ton more pictures once the jeep is done.

Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith
got started on them today, I bought the steel a while back.
3/16 steel 4'' x 2'', tubing.
I will have more pics over the next few days, but heres some teasers of the rear. They go about 16'' into the rear Uni channel.

I'll be cutting down and palting the tubing sticking out for d ring mounts, also adding a reciver to the center.
Stay tuned.
Just bought all the hardware, 8 longer new bolts to go to the stock bumper mount holes and lock washers for those.
8, grade 8, 1/2'' x 4'' bolts to go thru the uchannel, thru the bumper along with 16 flat washers, 1 for each side of those bolts, 8 grade 8 nuts, and lock washers.
anyways, all said and done, the hardware cost almost as much as the steel LOL. 38$ If you really want a picture of a pile of hardware, I'll post one. but I'm not gonna debag them, Because I'm lazy like the scouts for jersey shore.
so picture fail on my part, which I will correct tomorrow eve. I forgot to take a picture of the pieces of 1/4'' welded to the pieces that go into the uchannel, and bolt where the bumper bolts up stock.

marked roughly where I'm gonna put the reciever

cut ends wooo

you can see the 4 holes and where I need to cut for the fuel filler to go thru. Obviously the bumper isnt lined up per the holes/ filled location, but you can see the 4 holes I chose to mount it

I tried to photograph the other side, but my camera was being stupid, I'll take a pic of it tomorrow, the bolts on the other side make are in a rectangle pattern.
I'll be plating on both sides of the piece left sticking out for d rings, with 5/16'' plate, because I found some laying around. I also plan on doing some gusseting on the d rings themselves, to help for off angle recoverys.
well long over due update, sorry been busy with forgetting the camera.
1/4 plate was used for the mounts to the stock location, they still need to be gusseted.
the d ring is the original 3/16 steel from the square tubing with 1/4 plate welded all the way around on both sides. I'm considering adding another 1/4 plate tword the hole just for even more added beef, not really sure it will be needed tho.
The reciever is welded in, but I need to cut where it sticks out of the bumper down some, for appearence and for making stock style recievers fit in it with the pin to the back.

Almost done, gussets, caps, some grinding, cutting the hole for the fuel filler neck call it a day

cut the hole for the reciever down, looks great now. still a little bit of burns in the hole, but its awesome

I didnt take a picture, but the hole for the filler neck is cut on both sides now too
Im back from the dead. Thought I wouldnt be. ha.
The bumper is done, well, almost. its in the painting process right now.
Which means there are some bits missing from this write up, but not many.
Basically sealed the ends up, did some cleaning up of the gussests and a few welds. The bumper is UPSIDE DOWN in the pics. i wanted to paint the bottom first.
These pics are just a teaser, I'm covered in so much chassis saver that i didnt wanna touch my camera. This was a fast coat, it will be getting a nice second coat, before a scuff and bedliner.

I honestly dont think i could hurt this bumper if i tried.
HUGE CHANGE OF PLANS.

no more duplicolor spray on bed liner for the bumpers. I've been sold on monstliner for a long time. I just know how awesome it is as a prodcut, and amazing customer service.

Since the whole jeep will be mosntalinered, why shouldnt the bumpers be?
The spray on bedliner is nice, very fine grit like sand paper, so im sure that it will be hard to clean, its also very thin. I just dont think it will serve its purpose on the bumpers as well as monsta. The only reason I was considered the spray on liner was because its easy to touch up. But no.

Monstaliner is the move.

still wet, ignore the reflections. Its getting ready to be installed, propbably tomorrow night.

ITS BEEF
i went back and read, the only things you really missed picture wise, was me adfding more plates to the d rings, drilling a hole in them, and welding the caps on, and some grinding. so this can still serve its purpose as a good diy write up.
I kind of stuck my hand around the back corner and took a fast top down pic. Better than nothing right?

and the plating of the fornt horns on one side ive been working on

dont mind how ****ty the welds look, they are good welds, just not pretty, dealing with some dirty materials, plus making double passes here n there for some filling. once i grind it a little, and put the steering box in, whos gonna care? lol Cant wait to chassis saver it, and the entire engine bay.

Seriously if you haven't already bought chassis saver, I dont know what you are waiting for. HURRY UP AND BUY.

(yes this is almost the same post from my floor thread, it belong in both)

:highfive:
bumper **** lol

gates not closed because I still cant find the striker pin for it, the newer style one from my 97 wont work lol.
so I havent had my camera, which sucks but either way heres some more bumper ****.
the same square tubing as the rear bumper in the center, this time got to play with some fire FIREEEEEE and use torches to do the cutting, made it a little easier.
theres still a ton of welding and drilling to be done on this, not to mention figuring out the corners.

pics

Originally Posted by rugsucka
Tell me about the longer side - I made my bumper with 1/4" side plates that picked up the big hole with a 7/8" bolt on both sides and that seemed like more than enough - a couple more holes than many aftermarket bumpers.
With my steering box spacer plate replacement also picking up the the same big hole on the inside, I figure I'm pretty safe - what do you hope to pick up further up the rail?
Is this tying into some frame rail plating in the middle?
(serious questions here, not flaming or making a dig)
Yes I just wanted to use more than just the steering box bolts to hold the bumper so I went past it on that side. The frontunirails are plated down both sides with 1/4 plate and full welded. I'm bolting directly thru it, and using the steering box bolts aswell.
got all the holes drilled. bought bolts, besides the 3 steering box bolts. they didnt have the size at depot

not pictured but I cut the steel for the corners too.
heres a teaser of my front bumper, all the grinding on the bottom of the corners, and cutting the very ends to an angle im happy with still needs to be done, I didnt touch it today lol Spent all day working on the jeep instead

I also need to gusset the corners
Originally Posted by TheDirtyGeneral
I like the receiver on the front
I wanted to keep the bumper tight to the body to help with approach ect, so I opted against a winch plate, and decided to go with the reciever mount front and rear for a winch, If I get one.

If not, it sure makes moving a trailer a ton easier when you can just drive up to it lol. also lets me mount a front plate.
as long as you sealed the can good it will be fine.

picture of the front bumper the corners are still gonna have a tony bit taken off to approve the look rom the front. I wasnt in a picture mood so heres one. Be happy lol

there will be alot more once i get the body on the rig lol. and ofcourse the monstaliner pics when I spray that on the bumpers
Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 PM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the 2x4 that you slid into the rear frame rails what did you do about the leaf spring bolt that sticks into the frame rail?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by d50
on the 2x4 that you slid into the rear frame rails what did you do about the leaf spring bolt that sticks into the frame rail?

remove the leaf bolt . mark the tubing, drill a hole bigger than the bolt. so it can stick into it. No interfierence.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 PM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya i thought about doing that too but then thought what if by some strange thing the rear bumper got ripped out then the bolt would be afu. but your design looks like it wont rip out because you plated the unibody. is there any reason you shouldnt cut the ecess bolt off so it doesnt stick into the frame rail? im just trying to get some ideas to do mine. and the bolt looks way long anywase.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by d50
ya i thought about doing that too but then thought what if by some strange thing the rear bumper got ripped out then the bolt would be afu. but your design looks like it wont rip out because you plated the unibody. is there any reason you shouldnt cut the ecess bolt off so it doesnt stick into the frame rail? im just trying to get some ideas to do mine. and the bolt looks way long anywase.
i wouldnt cut it off, you could replace it with a shorter bolt (grade 8), but it dosent really hurt anything.

If my bumper gets ripped off half the jeep is going with it, so that bolt will be the least of my worries lol
Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by The Blacksmith
remove the leaf bolt . mark the tubing, drill a hole bigger than the bolt. so it can stick into it. No interfierence.
Or back the bolt out far enough to slip in the bumper, run the bolt in until it contacts the bumper, back out bolt, remove bumper, and drill where the mark is. I did this on mine and never had to jack up my Jeep for the bumper build. Same rational for the thru bolt. It strengthens the leaf spring mount with the bumper, and if my bumper gets hit that hard, the Cherokee will probably be headed for the crusher.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

very clean. good beads.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by The Blacksmith
another thread transfer from jeepforum. There are pictures missing, but i'll be taking a ton more pictures once the jeep is done.
This is an awesome post with plenty of detail as to how to build without any question. Great job.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Registered Users

thank you
Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Registered Users

Ask the staff here https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f19/we-need-edit-rights-112700/#post1335211

why there isnt any pictures in this thread.

You can find me on jeep forum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...-pics-1184330/

Last edited by The Blacksmith; 11-20-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question

Hey i got this thread thru the search about how rear aftermarket bumpers mount. If they bolt to the stock mounts, wont they rip off during a heavy winch? So i was looking into re-enforcing the rear tailbone.

Problem is, i cant see any of the pics u posted up on here... got a fix for that??

Thanks!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

Originally Posted by SeniorXJ
Hey i got this thread thru the search about how rear aftermarket bumpers mount. If they bolt to the stock mounts, wont they rip off during a heavy winch? So i was looking into re-enforcing the rear tailbone.

Problem is, i cant see any of the pics u posted up on here... got a fix for that??

Thanks!!!
Read right above your post for the answer. Have to say I agree.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by hudfabxj
Read right above your post for the answer. Have to say I agree.
Well that sucks!! I saw that but didnt read thru it the whole way.