CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

We need edit rights

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0ho
Default We need edit rights

I do alot of build threads and other threads etc.

Why can't we go back and edit older posts? Its turned off in the software as almost every other forum has it.

So I'm wondering why its turned off?

If I was to say post a part out thread, and more parts became available as the thread went on, why should I have to go bother a mod to merge my posts together, when I can do it myself?

Can we get this option back?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Agreed we do need to be able to go back and edit
Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by 99 Purple XJ
Agreed we do need to be able to go back and edit
Yeah my main thing is I have over 225 pictures in my build thread on one of the 2 photobuckets I'm using, and it keeps going over bandwidth with like 10 + days left in the month, so my pics dissapear.

So I'm going to have to slowly change out some of the pictures and links with the new links. etc etc

not possible without edit rights.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Bottom line the reason we made that change was due to issues we have had with members who get upset. We have had members who get upset go through and delete every thread they have posted. This is a major issue to deal with. I wwish VB would allow us to set those permissions on a forum by forum bases not site wide. Currently we have it set on a 3 day window.

I will look at the policies and see if we can adjust them in a way that makes better sense but also protects the site.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

This might be a silly question, but why is deleting threads a problem?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
This might be a silly question, but why is deleting threads a problem?
If someone removes their post in a thread they did not create, then any replies to that post would make no sense. If they remove the whole thread then I don't think it would hurt much of anything, but when posts are getting removed within a thread it really makes the thread hard to follow.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Bottom line the reason we made that change was due to issues we have had with members who get upset. We have had members who get upset go through and delete every thread they have posted. This is a major issue to deal with. I wwish VB would allow us to set those permissions on a forum by forum bases not site wide. Currently we have it set on a 3 day window.

I will look at the policies and see if we can adjust them in a way that makes better sense but also protects the site.

BAH. If a user isn't being protected by the staff and is forced to vacat the forum, any contributions they made to the site are thier own and they should be able to do with them, what they want, accordingly.

fully up to date builds / write ups stocked with pictures vs a bunch of red x's should get this pushed right thru.

let the haters hate lol
Old 11-19-2011, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by The Blacksmith
BAH. If a user isn't being protected by the staff and is forced to vacat the forum, any contributions they made to the site are thier own and they should be able to do with them, what they want, accordingly.

fully up to date builds / write ups stocked with pictures vs a bunch of red x's should get this pushed right thru.

let the haters hate lol
There are gonna be changes around here that I cannot get into yet. so just be patient and don't let your panties get in a wad.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Id just delete my 200+ pictures on photobucket that Ive used here, If I was to get banned/pissed off...

We need edit rights, I see that some of my pics are missing in the writeup section.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 89Laredo
We need edit rights, I see that some of my pics are missing in the writeup section.
Contact a mod and they will help you.
I do it all the time.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
There are gonna be changes around here that I cannot get into yet. so just be patient and don't let your panties get in a wad.
I'm commando
Old 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I've known other forums who had issues over things that were for sale and the person went back and deleted stuff they said so it would look like They were right and not at fault. I'm not saying there were times I'd like to go back. But I think the mods are doing what they think is best and I'm OK with that.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I have no beefs with how the forum is set up. It would however be nice to be able to go back a little further and add things to or edit ones build thread. I started mine after I had the XJ for two years so I'm kinda doing it from memory and as I read back through it I'm constantly finding things I would like to add to previous posts as to add it later just confuses everything. Just my 2 cents.
Not a big deal, I figure I'll just hang tight and see where we go from here and hope its in a positive direction!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

If and when I can set those edit rights by the forum area then I will. I agree editing build threads, writeups and that sort is nice. However I do not want folks editing for sale threads.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
If and when I can set those edit rights by the forum area then I will. I agree editing build threads, writeups and that sort is nice. However I do not want folks editing for sale threads.

" 7. Responsibility: Sellers and buyers are responsible for all transactions. The staff will not be responsible for any transactions.
"

So in reality, if the staff isn't going to get involved in the transactions, there is no reason that the user shouldnt be able to edit posts.

This is stupid as hell. Throw the switch and stop worrying more about a users content than the users participation. If they don't want thier threads on the site anymore because they were forced to leave due to unresolved issues on the site, that the staff didn't handle. Then the forum dosen't deserve the users posts.

Weak that the whole forum has to suffer because of what MIGHT happen.

and on that note screw it.

Quick Reply: We need edit rights