Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Another Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Another Rear Bumper

Well, I really like the looks of Logan's bumpers and I wanted some rear quarter panel armour as well. I was shooting for some nice, crisp lines without the "rounded-off-with-a-grinder" look.
Attached Thumbnails Another Rear Bumper-quarterpanel-plate.jpg   Another Rear Bumper-skel1.jpg   Another Rear Bumper-skel2.jpg   Another Rear Bumper-skel3.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM

Sorry to not take a lot of pictures during the build, but you probably get the idea......I would say it takes at least twice as long to build one like this, with all the beveling, than it does to just "weld it up and grind it down". I think it's worth it though.
Attached Thumbnails Another Rear Bumper-stands3.jpg   Another Rear Bumper-bump2.jpg   Another Rear Bumper-bump3.jpg   Another Rear Bumper-bumpuper.jpg   Another Rear Bumper-bump4dring.jpg  

Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 99
Engine: 4ho

That looks outstanding!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Pez

Year: 1989

Looks awesome!!! Swing out tire carrier??? :-)
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Lyferxb9s
That looks outstanding!
X2
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 PM

nice!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 PM

What everyone else said! Can you elaborate on this "not just welding it up and grinding it down"? I guess you basically just cut to make nice tight joints, and then weld it up on the backside? Really like the corner protection as well. Extremely nice lines.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM

Thanks,
In retrospect, maybe that didn't sound very nice What I was refering are bumpers that are welded sloppily and then rounded off with a grinder. It is probably just a personal peeve due to many years as a cabinet maker.
As far as crisp corners....ya gotta bevel the crap out of em to get them to fit right.....the alternative is to fill a large outside corner with a weld bead and try to grind a nice straight line. I tend to bevel and weld the inside strong and fit the outside as close as possible...then run a very small bead for filler, and carefully grind it down.
In most instances, especially if the bumper is going to be finished in a flat, or medium gloss, finish....it probably doesn't matter. However, if a person wanted to use a high gloss finish...like matching the body color...the lines would need to be right IMHO.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Bruce in Montana
Thanks,
In retrospect, maybe that didn't sound very nice What I was refering are bumpers that are welded sloppily and then rounded off with a grinder. It is probably just a personal peeve due to many years as a cabinet maker.
As far as crisp corners....ya gotta bevel the crap out of em to get them to fit right.....the alternative is to fill a large outside corner with a weld bead and try to grind a nice straight line. I tend to bevel and weld the inside strong and fit the outside as close as possible...then run a very small bead for filler, and carefully grind it down.
In most instances, especially if the bumper is going to be finished in a flat, or medium gloss, finish....it probably doesn't matter. However, if a person wanted to use a high gloss finish...like matching the body color...the lines would need to be right IMHO.
I agree. That's why I use the thickest bedliner that I can find to cover my ugly booger welds.

Bumper looks good.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce in Montana
Thanks,
Ahh. Understood. I can relate to your "peeves" as a cabinet maker. ****s got to be perfect. Your attention to detail sure shines threw on that bumper buddy! Thanks for the clarification.