Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

01 Front Bumper Weld Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 01 Front Bumper Weld Project

Well i'm just finishing up my welding classes at Dunwoody in MN. So in closing they want us to blueprint and make something to grade for a final project. Of course the first thing that came to find was a front bumper. I had always loved the JCR offroad bumper kit, so I drew this up.

Name:  bumper.jpg
Views: 4613
Size:  40.6 KB

The nice thing about this project, is that Dunwoody is covering the cost of metal. So its a free bumper! Pics to fellow as I progress.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Year: 88-ish
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Bilknutz
Well i'm just finishing up my welding classes at Dunwoody in MN. So in closing they want us to blueprint and make something to grade for a final project. Of course the first thing that came to find was a front bumper. I had always loved the JCR offroad bumper kit, so I drew this up.

The nice thing about this project, is that Dunwoody is covering the cost of metal. So its a free bumper! Pics to fellow as I progress.

Is that the old version of sketchup or is that the paid one? Looks like a good start.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by blankdeluxe
Is that the old version of sketchup or is that the paid one? Looks like a good start.
Not sure what version it is, it was free, little tough to work with but helpful for drawing a draft.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89

Are you planning on using a winch? Might as well make your mounts go past the steering box brace either way. And work your approach angle a bunch!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

With respect, the most obvious problem is that in the lower left hand corner picture, you are showing the skirt to be 3"....on an angle....with a total height of 10".
The square on the hypotanuse is equal to the sum of the yada, yada, yada..

Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by Bruce in Montana
With respect, the most obvious problem is that in the lower left hand corner picture, you are showing the skirt to be 3"....on an angle....with a total height of 10".
The square on the hypotanuse is equal to the sum of the yada, yada, yada..

You are correct, But. It is his upper right view that is a little off viewing it directly from the the font wouldnt be 3" up and down. It would like 2.5" or something depending on the angle.

SU doesnt take that long to draw. But when you do your views, draw it all to scale and then project your lines and everything should up. But as you can see your stuff doesnt really line up. (Yes I used paint, and no its not anywhere close to being exact but its close enough you can tell its off.)

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 1350
Size:  268.4 KB

Let me know if you have an other issues
-Zack

(coming from an architectural student)

Last edited by Zack92MJ; 04-17-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling erroe
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Zacks98
But when you do your views, draw it all to scale
its not an architectural drawing, it doesn't need to be a scaled drawing. thats what NTS means
and then project your lines and everything should up. But as you can see your stuff doesnt really line up. (Yes I used paint, and no its not anywhere close to being exact but its close enough you can tell its off.)
it doesnt need to line up, its not an architectural drawing. its not even a weld drawing for that matter.
its just something he sketched on a windows program.

(coming from an architectural student)
he's a welder, not an architect.

mechanical/welding prints are a much different animal compared to the prints you read/draw...
Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hankthetank
its not an architectural drawing, it doesn't need to be a scaled drawing. thats what NTS means
it doesnt need to line up, its not an architectural drawing. its not even a weld drawing for that matter.
its just something he sketched on a windows program.
he's a welder, not an architect.
mechanical/welding prints are a much different animal compared to the prints you read/draw...
Hank,

So where does it say NTS?
Maybe it had said Not To Scale wouldn't have confused Bruce?

"On a windows program"? You sir dont know what you are talking about. That is Google SketchUp, that is an ARCHITECTURAL program.

Welding prints are different, but mechanical drawings are pretty similar. Pretty sure a lot of them use that program called...um oh yeah CAD

Plus personally I would rather have someone else point out stuff I could do differently or a little better rather than my teacher. Let alone if they mark off points cause of it. Secondly if I was his teacher and saw that he did that and no one else did I might be will helping to help him more than everyone else.

My whole post was go give Bilknutz some advice and really talk to Bruce about it...kinda why I quoted him and not Bilknutz original post. And the only reason I said architectural student was because I know what Im talking about not blowing smoke out of my ***. No where in my post was I attacking Bilknutz or being a douche bag like you. So why do you take your tiny ***** syndrome some where else, unless you have some actually constructive information to add.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89

I almost worked to a degree in CAD, my school dropped half the programs I needed though. This is hilarious, it doesn't matter what he uses what program it is, what type of program etc. Hes trying to build it, let him build it.

OP, mock it up with cardboard first so you can get the shape right, then transfer the pieces to metal.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Hank,

So why do you take your tiny ***** syndrome some where else, unless you have some actually constructive information to add.
wow. totally uncalled for. i dont have tiny ***** syndrome. i have three years of formal education in print reading and drawing as a machinist/millwright...and over ten years of real world experience. take that how you like.

all he was doing was "sketching" a drawing for his shop project, not building a house. i wasn't attacking you personally. leave the name calling for junior high.

and neither of us know exactly what the requirements for his drawing are anyways.

have a magical day.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Hank,

That is Google SketchUp, that is an ARCHITECTURAL program.
...and mechanical, and civil. just sayin'
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
OP, mock it up with cardboard first so you can get the shape right, then transfer the pieces to metal.
2X. Anxious to see how this thing turns out.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Hank can dish it out but can't take it. Lol
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Hank can dish it out but can't take it. Lol
dish and take what?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 AM

Year: 2000

Dang I thought this was about building a final project and it being free (being in welding school and building a front bumper and working on my rear bumper and tire swing, I know how big that is), not having a pissing contest. As long as he knows what he wants his measurements to be and uses cardboard to mock it up like suggested to make sure it looks exactly how he likes, who cares what his sketches look like or what program he used and what the program is "for".

OP- That is close to what I made and I am glad I used some cardboard to mock it up, cause it allowed me to see I needed to change a couple angles and what not. Good luck and I know you are goin to love it when it's done. Be carefull when you weld the mounting brackets on, not to warp them. Mine warped a lil and made it a B**** to totally mount up. Don't forget the two brackets in the front.

Quick Reply: 01 Front Bumper Weld Project