Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Zoom Zoom ;)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Zoom Zoom ;)

So, due to a... series of events, I got a Mazda Miata. If you want to hear more on why go here.

This is the build thread for it. Very very fun little car.

here are some specs:
  • ~90k miles
  • Red (SE)
  • VIN #508
  • Limited slip
  • Hard Dog roll bar
  • Good top
  • 1.8 front brakes
  • Both R-model spoilers
  • New clutch within last 5k miles

Here we go!

When I picked up the car from the PO, he told me that the PO before him wired the fans to a toggle switch (something about Auto-X) and that they needed to be manually turned on with the car and turned off when done driving. No problem... On the way back from his house (I live in about 30 minutes away), we were trailed by a cop (even though he was out of jurisdiction) for MILES. Probably had something to do with not having plates and the fact that the poor little NA sounds like a swarm of angry bees due to an exhaust leak.

We were close to home when we got a call from my mom saying that she was pretty sure she just blew up my Jeep's engine. Really?! We met her in the Miata and sadly, I somehow ended up watching my new to me vehicle drive down the interstate from the seat of the tow truck.

Then my phone starts to ring... my dad tells me the Miata is running a little warm and he was going to pull off at the next exit to check it... he does, and it turns out that one of the wires on the fan was loose (nothing a little solder and heat shrink won't fix) THANKFULLY.

That's just the story of getting from the PO's house back to mine. Now I'm pretty exhausted (been at work since 7am) but luckily, I got the rest of the day off... which never happens. I'd usually be working till 10-11pm.

And now for the pictures...

Zoom Zoom ;)-ul3un5l.jpg

Zoom Zoom ;)-9e4chr0.jpg

Zoom Zoom ;)-bjewvxg.jpg

Don't worry about the stripes... they aren't my work, and they are covering up some gouges in the paint. :/
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

As for my plans for the little go-kart... this is going to be a DD and I am a college student... and I plan to drive the car around in stock form for a while just so I can get a feel for what it can really do.

I'd never driven a 5 speed before today but within like 10 minutes of being at the house I was driving around the neighborhood. Didn't even stall the first time I took off from first. I LOVE the way the manual steering rack feels. Smiles for miles. I did manage to break one of the zipper pulls because I didn't realize I was supposed to unlatch the top to zip up the window.

So, with the whole daily driver thing in mind... here are some things I'd like to do immediately.
  • Dapper Lighting 7" bi-xenon HIDs (yay for not blinding the **** out of people)
  • Nexus 7 in dash install. I already bought the N7 a few weeks ago in preparation for the install.
  • New, aluminum radiator. The thing in there right now is trash.
  • New radiator fan (already have)
  • Replace rear LCAs (already have)
  • Fix the exhaust leak from hell (taking to the muffler shop tomorrow, I just don't have time to look at it because of work... and they're family friends, they'll treat me well.)
  • NB Nardi wheel
  • Possibly run a check through the suspension, replace any worn out bushings, etc.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Waiting at the muffler shop...

Zoom Zoom ;)-g7xc0lj.jpg

Up on the lift...

Zoom Zoom ;)-ayk3hk5.jpg

I'd be willing to guess that was the exhaust leak.

Zoom Zoom ;)-bujj01a.jpg

Ordered a book by Keith Tanner from Flyin' Miata. Also ordered a USB DAC ($50) and some 6 1/2" speakers and a 100w amp and some wiring stuff for around $200. I'll be ordering a Koyo 37mm rad on Saturday (unless anyone has a better suggestion. I would like to do it right the first time, even if it's gonna cost me) and swapping it in ASAP. Going to try to fix the PO's silly wiring on the fan/temp sensor tonight and swap in my new/old radiator fan.

The guys from the muffler shop came to my house while I was at work and picked it up for me... the guy was telling me how fun it was to drive over. Hah!

Also, I went to the tag office this morning and put it on the insurance on the ride over... $25 for 6 months. That was pretty cool.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Zoom Zoom ;)-qjcge39.jpg

packages!

Zoom Zoom ;)-sb9seoz.jpg

Zoom Zoom ;)-cphc3xb.jpg

Test fitting the Nexus 7.

Zoom Zoom ;)-9eklgmh.jpg

Zoom Zoom ;)-vifvnkl.jpg

Zoom Zoom ;)-nwkztkk.jpg

Zoom Zoom ;)-3b7mfcs.jpg

Zoom Zoom ;)-fyn9bfs.jpg

More packages!

Old and busted/new hotness.

Zoom Zoom ;)-0b7fex9.jpg

Condenser coil appears to be bent and probably leaking... probably a part of why my AC doesn't work... it also made it a little difficult to get the old radiator out. Luckily, we have a vacuum pump and recovery cylinders and that kind of stuff... so maybe we'll fill it up with nitrogen and do a leak check.

Zoom Zoom ;)-4modz2r.jpg

As I was tightening the hose clamp on the upper hose I dropped the screw driver and bent a couple fins. That sucked...

Zoom Zoom ;)-ngxvxpi.jpg

Found this under the hood... got really confused and then I realized that the hood was replaced. Scared me for a second!

Zoom Zoom ;)-tgpmrun.jpg

And then I drove the sucker. Finally... It still seems to want to stall either when the engine is cold or hasn't been driven in a couple days. Not sure... but I filled it up with gas and we'll see if that fixes the issue. It was right on E... If not I guess I'll be replacing the fuel filter/checking some sensors/cleaning parts.

I put 100+ miles on it. I filled up at the QT in Jasper across from Bargain Barn and then went up to Ellijay and realized I forgot to reset the trip counter. Then I took Hwy 52 West towards Chatsworth. I really thought I'd be riding with the top up most of the time because... let's be honest... the car looks pretty girly as it sits. But, I realized it was way too much fun to care what anybody thinks.

Zoom Zoom ;)-oshvarl.jpg

By the way... the radiator fixed my overheating issues. I didn't even bother plugging in the coolant thermoswitch (so the fan never came on) and it never went above 205 (standing still). Moving around, it would sit at 185 or so. So, once I get the fan hooked up it should be great. Unfortunately I have to find a way to retain the aftermarket temperature gauge and install the thermoswitch. I do have a little thing that sits in between two radiator hoses, but AFAIK the threads aren't correct. Tap and die, I guess...
Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Zoom Zoom ;)-i3pgxze.jpg

Looking good

Zoom Zoom ;)-xqrrsj0.jpg

Dad bought a Mustang GT. Thing is CLEAN.

So, headlights came today.

Zoom Zoom ;)-vrpyqmb.jpg

Got them in there!

Zoom Zoom ;)-k2q5qdi.jpg

Zoom Zoom ;)-epwnn85.jpg

This picture doesn't show much but glare from the lights, but I didn't take many pictures so I'm posting it anyway! If you don't like it, scram

Zoom Zoom ;)-vmchkgx.jpg

Picture makes them look blue, but I promise they are white.

Zoom Zoom ;)-vjtzs3f.jpg

And then me and my dad went up to the office and I grabbed this picture.

Zoom Zoom ;)-t9gibzq.jpg

Also got the Nautilus air horn installed. They sent me a mini fuse instead of a normal fuse... so, I took it as an excuse to go on a drive to AutoZone. Grabbed the fuse and two front turn signal bulbs since the parking light filament was sorta messed up on the passenger side. It actually came on when I was pulling it out, but I had the new bulbs anyway... so, in they went. When I got home, a friend texted me and said they saw me driving and yelled my name but I couldn't hear them because the car is too loud.

If you've been paying attention you'll know that I had the muffler shop pick the car up and "fix it" which they did... mostly. It's still WAY too loud and ricey sounding and I'm not 100% sure it's even a stock exhaust system... Either way, I'll probably try to find a FULL stock exhaust and put it on.

And that is current, as of June 28, 2014.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Looks sweet man. I just got a miata as my daily driver about a week ago!
Attached Thumbnails Zoom Zoom ;)-image-2418668975.jpg   Zoom Zoom ;)-image-2558426805.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
Looks sweet man. I just got a miata as my daily driver about a week ago!
Slick NB man! They are so dang fun to drive aren't they?! You wouldn't expect a car with 100 something HP to be so fun haha!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

I don't think the ratio of power to handling can be beaten in many cars. So that equals a ton of fun haha!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Sooo turbo? Y/Y?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Hard dog roll bar is gonna be my next move lol
Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
Sooo turbo? Y/Y?
It's in the cards... Eventually. I'm looking at somewhere in the high 100s. 160-180. I really want to keep it close to what it is now but make it a little faster in a straight line.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

I see. I'm sorry I just can't get MCM's Miata off of my mind. Gonna get CHOPPED
Old 06-29-2014, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
I see. I'm sorry I just can't get MCM's Miata off of my mind. Gonna get CHOPPED
Haha yes! That is a cool car. Probably influenced my decision a tiny bit.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:35 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Nice little mx5 ya got there bud
Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran