Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

help me suprise my solider!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default help me suprise my solider!!

Ok, so my boy is enlisted in the USMC, and gets shipped for basic on june21st. He owns a 1996 chevy corsica auto 2.2..... and When he leaves we are decking that BEEP out. but what i need from you guys is what can i do to this bad boy!. Can you give me some ideas and some links? I want to start buying and hiding this stuff now so i have the 3 months hes gone to put it all together. and i will gladly make a build out of it. Soon i will be car dollyin it to a stainless steel exhaust fitted because his front down pipe rusted. But good muffles? head units.. etc etc.. Ideas???????????? Thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Dont know how decked out you can make a corsica but this looks ok!

http://www.compactcarsite.com/includ...dykitindex.jpg

What are you wanting to do? Exterior? Performance?

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

First tell your man thank you for serving our country from all of us here at cherokeeforum!!!
Second what does he like. Stereo's, performance, exterior mods?
Edit: Did some searching and your gonna have a hard time with performance upgrades on a corsica. (unless you have alot of money.) What I would do is a nice set of rims (not ghetto), some pin striping, tinted windows, a nice quality stereo, maybe an amp and a set of subs, and some leather seat covers. Just my .02. Good luck. For performance, you could do a K&N high flow air filter. Dont know what type of aftermarket exhausts are available for that car, but look into that as well. Again good luck and thanks for serving.

Last edited by xjdirtbath; 10-29-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 PM

Year: 2000 & 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Whatever you do, when he returns from Marine Corps boot camp as a Marine don't, I repeat don't call him a soldier! He is a MARINE!

Tell him thank you and you should be proud!

USMC 1991-1997
Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

What are the things he might be most interested in having done?? I know you can take it to a local exhaust shop and have them do up a nice "custom" exhaust that will sound nice... Other ideas are as posted above... Does he really like this car,or is just a vehicle to drive to him?? The reason I ask is not to put it down, but to know whether he is going to try and replace it after basic when he has the money he has been able to put away during basic, and training afterwards... then there is no point in wasting time/money on it, cause he may even purchase another vehicle at the earliest convience. I have seen it done many times, almost did it myself.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by crazydays
Whatever you do, when he returns from Marine Corps boot camp as a Marine don't, I repeat don't call him a soldier! He is a MARINE!

Tell him thank you and you should be proud!

USMC 1991-1997
I'll second this notion! I've been in the Air Force for 13 years now. You call a Marine a Marine! Soldiers are in the Army. Sailors are in the Navy and Airmen are in the Air Force. Tell him thanks for serving our country, regardless. It is the best place in the world to live.

As for the Cavalier, I wouldn't go crazy on it. That car even in excellent condition, is worth about $1,500. If you want to spend a lot of money on a vehicle for him, get him a Jeep Cherokee! Otherwise, I can tell you from being in the Military, that when you're new, it's nice to just have something to drive. A 96 Cavalier is absolutely PERFECT for any new recruit. If he wants to finance a newer vehicle, I sure hope you do everything in your power to talk him out of it. I see a lot of new Airmen make this terrible mistake and I'd imagine that the other services are even worse. For the Cavalier, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on performance upgrades, if any at all. But if it's a nice and reliable car, then I'd make sure it's all tuned up. Put some new, nice tires on it. Michelins or something. It doesn't need a huge sound system, but an after market head unit would be great! Other than that, it's still a 96 Cavalier and it will never be worth much no matter what you do to it. I wouldn't pour a whole lot of money into it. But if your boy is smart, he'll hold on to it for a while. At least until he's an E-5 or so. You should convince him to do the same. I learned this lesson the hard way. I could have had a lot more fun when I was younger, if I weren't making car payments on a car I could barely afford.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by KC10Chief
I'll second this notion! I've been in the Air Force for 13 years now. You call a Marine a Marine! Soldiers are in the Army. Sailors are in the Navy and Airmen are in the Air Force. Tell him thanks for serving our country, regardless. It is the best place in the world to live.

As for the Cavalier, I wouldn't go crazy on it. That car even in excellent condition, is worth about $1,500. If you want to spend a lot of money on a vehicle for him, get him a Jeep Cherokee! Otherwise, I can tell you from being in the Military, that when you're new, it's nice to just have something to drive. A 96 Cavalier is absolutely PERFECT for any new recruit. If he wants to finance a newer vehicle, I sure hope you do everything in your power to talk him out of it. I see a lot of new Airmen make this terrible mistake and I'd imagine that the other services are even worse. For the Cavalier, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on performance upgrades, if any at all. But if it's a nice and reliable car, then I'd make sure it's all tuned up. Put some new, nice tires on it. Michelins or something. It doesn't need a huge sound system, but an after market head unit would be great! Other than that, it's still a 96 Cavalier and it will never be worth much no matter what you do to it. I wouldn't pour a whole lot of money into it. But if your boy is smart, he'll hold on to it for a while. At least until he's an E-5 or so. You should convince him to do the same. I learned this lesson the hard way. I could have had a lot more fun when I was younger, if I weren't making car payments on a car I could barely afford.
i have a friend thats the same way that goes to high school with me, kinda hard to go places when you're working to pay off a $17,000 mustang (but it is fast)
Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Engine: 4.0 liter

Thank you all, I am very proud of him!. Un goldy. something i wish i would have done. When he told me he was joining i about fell over. But he actually just junked the car because the brakes went out on him. so i gave him my jeep. Because i have my truck. wife has her new annoying town n country. so i decided it will still be here when he leaves. But thank you all!. And Oooh Rah to those soldiers and dads/moms of soldiers/marines.. THANKS
Old 11-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by spahr69
Thank you all, I am very proud of him!. Un goldy. something i wish i would have done. When he told me he was joining i about fell over. But he actually just junked the car because the brakes went out on him. so i gave him my jeep. Because i have my truck. wife has her new annoying town n country. so i decided it will still be here when he leaves. But thank you all!. And Oooh Rah to those soldiers and dads/moms of soldiers/marines.. THANKS
your are my friend are the greatest dad in the world! and as all have said thank you for servin our country.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L

well if you gave him your jeep trick that thing out for him if you haven't already, I would have died if my dad had a bad *** jeep waiting for me when i got back from basic, but i got married before i went and my wifey had my toyota waiting for me all tuned up and running like a champ.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91/96

Thanks for having a son that will serve our country. I wish I had went and joined myself. But anyway, anything you do I am sure he would be happy with it weither it be the Corsica of the Jeep. (put the monies in the jeep) That would b bada** THANK YOU