Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Cummins Auto Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cummins Auto Tranny Issue

So i have had this 1997 2wd dually with the 47re Auto for about 3 years now and i know that the tranny had a full rebuild at 100k (has 230k now). I mostly use the truck for towing the Jeep and hauling light load from the hardware store and what-not.

I noticed on my way back from a trip to Chattanooga a month or so ago that at highway speeds there was a faint whining/grinding (more like a low pitched whine) coming from the transmission area. So i stopped to double check fluids and look for leaks and such but found nothing out of place.

The truck was shifting fine and going into lock-up like it should in overdrive so i left it alone and eased in home. The next day i went and drove it around the neighborhood and noticed that the faster i went, the louder this noise got and if i turned to OD switch off it stopped the noise... i am not a tranny expert and i am just boggled as to what this could be.

It still shifts fine but noise has seemed to get worse and worse so of course i am not driving it at all right now. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be? Pilot bearing possibly? I dont want to pull this tranny if i dont have to. Thank you all in advance for the help!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee

There is no pilot bearing in an auto trans. Does it only make noise when the trans is in 4th (o/d)? If so it could be the O/D needle bearings, O/D sun gear, planetary gear set or annulus gear, basically something inside the O/D housing. If so you might be able to just remove the o/d unit off the trans and go through it or have a shop go through it.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Possibly could be the clutch pack not disengaging for OD like it should.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the input y'all...

Yes i am aware that Chrysler transmissions are crap LOL

It seems to start making the noise at about 15-20 MPH and gets louder as speed increases... If the tranny goes into third gear and i hit the O/D Off buton and it locks up in third then the noise goes away... So overdrive is the issue then?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

To the OP your going to need to pull the OD section off the trans but if I were you id pull the whole trans out and have a good trans shop go through it.

Last edited by JeepingDan; 07-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

Originally Posted by Diesel Dan

Are you going to pull my Duramax with your I6 MJ? lol

Remedial because I failed the first class, because I didn't go, because I was running a business....

Sorry Dr.
Ive owned several Cummins trucks and would pull any if em against a duramax. I don't happen to own one now, but I just got married and am building a house. Wanna take a pole and see how many people favor your crappy Chevy diesel over a Cummins? We may want your tranny but thats it!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by Trev1006
Ive owned several Cummins trucks and would pull any if em against a duramax. I don't happen to own one now, but I just got married and am building a house. Wanna take a pole and see how many people favor your crappy Chevy diesel over a Cummins? We may want your tranny but thats it!
For the record I'm not a chevy guy but you must have been out of the diesel world for a looong time because:
1 your sporting a Banks Power () sticker that no self respecting diesel owner would ever put on or install in diesel truck.
2 Duramax is a serious baller in the diesel world
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

I have a banks stainless header and **** duramax.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

So just to clarify....every edge,bully,banks,Gibson, etc sticker I see is in the truck of a non self respecting diesel owner?? Interesting....
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Don't put words in my fingers I said Banks didn't type any other brands. Many of those other company's you mentioned make fine products and don't have a douche bag father/son combo.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

I love how this help thread turned into a pissing match between cummins and duramax...... Lol
Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Take it to a shop and have em yank it out and fix or fix the truck and swap in a manual transmission that will last a lot longer.

There back on track
Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
I love how this help thread turned into a pissing match between cummins and duramax...... Lol
Especially considering this thread has nothing to do with ****ty duramax engines....only dodge autos which everyone knows sucks. So you remedial a$$ clowns can go and have a duramax circle jerk and start your own thread for duramax lovers, I promise you not many people will be there! Oh and BTW banks makes fine quality parts, maybe the problem is you guys are using the wrong diesel.......
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Trev1006
Especially considering this thread has nothing to do with ****ty duramax engines....only dodge autos which everyone knows sucks. So you remedial a$$ clowns can go and have a duramax circle jerk and start your own thread for duramax lovers, I promise you not many people will be there! Oh and BTW banks makes fine quality parts, maybe the problem is you guys are using the wrong diesel.......

You're the one who mentioned Duramax in the first place....
Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Diesel Dan

shoulda bought a Cheby
I believe this is the first time Chevy was mentioned in the thread, a thread with nothing to do with chevys....

Quick Reply: Cummins Auto Tranny Issue