Liberty KJ rear disc brakes to Cherokee XJ 8.25" Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Liberty KJ rear disc brakes to Cherokee XJ 8.25" Conversion

I have been doing some research on doing a disc conversion for the rear of my 2000 XJ. I got a great deal on a 2006 Jeep Liberty rear end with only 16k miles. I was able to purchase this rear end from a guy I know for a low price of $200.00. The he even thru in the parking brake cables. He has a couple more floating around somewhere. The axle had 15" wheels on it when I picked it up account the factory wheels were sold so I knew there would be no clearance issues. So here we go:

Assuming you already know how to pull the axles.

A picture of the axle and brake cables:

The brakes removed from the Liberty axle The factory hardware kit still had paint on the springs:
Name:  DSC03834.jpg
Views: 10405
Size:  63.4 KB

The backing plate on the Liberty is about 3/8" thick vs. the 1/8" thick on the XJ. The mounting bolts are about 1/4" too short The bolts that hold on the backing plate on are no different than wheel studs. Just knock them out and put in the longer studs from the Liberty:
Name:  DSC03849.jpg
Views: 7620
Size:  51.0 KB
Name:  DSC03850.jpg
Views: 7415
Size:  62.1 KB

Apply the new backing plate from the liberty. Use a lock-tite on the studs to hold on the backing plate. It is a direct fit:

I took this time to install new axle seals to keep from doing this in the future.

Now apply your axle, rotor, and caliper I turned the axle after it was installed to make sure there were no clearance issues. Everything is going well so far:
Name:  DSC03838.jpg
Views: 9072
Size:  70.3 KB

There are a couple different ways to mount your brake line. It is your choice. I did keep it up above the axle to prevent damaging it while on the trail You will have to bend your factory steel line how you like to meet up with the new brake hose. Also attach the Libery parking brake cables as shown. You will have to attached the ends of the cables to the factory splitter that goes into the main cable out of the console:
Name:  DSC03847.jpg
Views: 8981
Size:  82.6 KB

Now put you wheel back on and bolt it on:
Name:  DSC03842.jpg
Views: 7532
Size:  54.2 KB

Now adjust your cable and bleed the brakes. So far the brakes are excellent. I didn't notice a difference in the pedal travel. I have a proportional valve from a Grand Cherokee and the one from the Liberty. I may install one of these and see how things go.

This was an easy install. It took about four hours total. Five including removing the brakes from the Liberty axle. I think the hardest part was trying to route the parking brake cables and brake lines/hoses. These axle are out there but you just have to find someone wanting to part with it.

Thanks for looking.
Justin