Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default E brake relocation

Well after getting a longer rear brake line I thought I might do my e brake while I'm down there. It probably wasn't needed but I doubt I'll be staying at 4.5" for much longer lol.. Its real easy to do and the only thing I discovered is to drill the new holes at least an inch more towards the front then I did, as the unibody is a lot thinner there and one of the holes took me about 20 min to drill

The black paint is where the new holes were drilled, they had to be big enough for the toggle bolt to fit through. The smallest two holes are the original ones. I only had up to a 1/2" drill bit, so I had to do a little rounding out, I would guess a 3/4" bit should be large enough.
Name:  PICT0141.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  63.0 KB

The e brake has a lot of slack coming out of the body so I pulled it as much as I felt comfortable (dont rip it out) and marked those holes

Here's the hardware, 1/4" toggle bolt and a washer... I'm sure someone here has a more official name for it. One this long is not needed, but I already has it lying around the house so it was free I was skeptical at its strength at first but the e brake assembly is very light

Name:  PICT0142.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  81.8 KB

Slip the bolt through the hole and tighten it down. It helps to hold the bolt towards the ground until it is tight enough for it to dig into the unibody to stop it from spinning inside.
Relocated, plenty of slack, I gained about 5 inches
Name:  PICT0144.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  51.5 KB