Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ rear axle screwup

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Angry ZJ rear axle screwup

I have a problem with the rear axle in my 97 ZJ and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same deal. I had the transmission rebuilt at a nationally known company. They asked me if I wanted the rear axle pinion seal replaced while they were doing the trans and I said, "If you are sure of how to do it, yes." They assured me it was a simple fix. 200 miles later, the differential blow up! The pinion bearings were in pieces! I didn't notice the noise from the axle until it was too late. (65 mph, windows down, radio on.) After much argueing, they said they would go for the repair. The total repair bill came to $1095 of which I paid $400. This was a new ring & pinion gearset and new bearings. I now have 2000 miles on it and it's whining. I when back to the store and the franchise is closed. I called the company's 800 number and got the number of the stores owner. Haven't made contact yet. This jeep has 180,000 miles on it and the rear axle was fine until they destroyed it by overtorqueing the pinion bearings. My local jeep dealer says it will cost me about $200 just to check it out, parts additional. I don't feel I should pay another dime to fix someone elses screwup. I will let you know what happens.
Just beware when someone says "oh, it's easy to do."
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Just That Awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Have you checked the fluid? My dads YJ had a similar thing happen about 1500 miles after we rebuilt the diff. It started making noise ans turned out to be low on fluid. We topped it off and it never happened again.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Default ZJ rear axle screwup

Here's the latest in the story. My Jeep dealer says it's totaled. Pinion is loose again and will cost $1600 to fix. He advised me not to. A good used rear axle assembly online is about $300 to $500.
Called Cottman again and was told my beef was with the franchise owner, not them. Called the contact number they gave me and got the building's owner, who told me if I could find this guy to let them know because they couldn't locate him either!
I'm on social security disablilty and my nest egg is gone. I can't afford another $1600 nor do I want to spend that on this vehicle. Sometimes you can't trust anyone. I think I need a lawyer.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

That sucks.

I know its probably not something you want to do, but since it sounds like you are kinda in a bind, have you considered doing the labor yourself? Its not too difficult, esp if you've got step by step instructions. And you'll save yourself tons of money.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Just That Awesome

If you have the owners first and last name private message it to me along with the state your in and city where the shop was. I'll tell you where he is.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Default ZJ rear axle screwup

Yes, I am seriously considering doing it myself. The hardest part if I recall correctly, is setting the pinion depth. It's been about 35 years since I've done this stuff, but I remember after trying to set the backlash, having to pull it all apart and shim the pinion, which required replacing the crush sleeve again. I think I will probably replace the rear end with a used one and then rebuild mine as a backup. Problem is this is my only vehicle since my dodge caravan s*** the bed. My brother said he would help me but since he lives 70 mi. away and works a good job, it's difficult to get it together. Add to that, my only job is delivering Sunday newspapers. I'm a tool & diemaker that can't stand for 8 hrs at a time so nobody wants to hire me.

life's a *****, then you die.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Just That Awesome

It's a rough situation, you're best bet may be replacing with a used one for now.

Glad I could help find the shop owner, hopefully that goes somewhere for you.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by dave1123
Yes, I am seriously considering doing it myself. The hardest part if I recall correctly, is setting the pinion depth. It's been about 35 years since I've done this stuff, but I remember after trying to set the backlash, having to pull it all apart and shim the pinion, which required replacing the crush sleeve again. I think I will probably replace the rear end with a used one and then rebuild mine as a backup. Problem is this is my only vehicle since my dodge caravan s*** the bed. My brother said he would help me but since he lives 70 mi. away and works a good job, it's difficult to get it together. Add to that, my only job is delivering Sunday newspapers. I'm a tool & diemaker that can't stand for 8 hrs at a time so nobody wants to hire me.

life's a *****, then you die.
That really bites man. If I were close I'd help but I'm in WI.

There are tons of great people all over this forum, I'm sure if you tired you could find someone in your area willing to give you a hand if you supply some beer or something.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

you do realize replacing the pinion seal has nothing to do with blowing up your rear end right
they take off the companion flange, change the seal then put it back on
its not their fault in the first place and its just a coincidence that it blew up
they would only ask to change it if it was leaking and if it was you were probably low on fluid not their fault so just go buy the used diff
its probably whining now because all your bearings are pooched because you were low on fluid same reason your rear end went
look after your vehicle a little better and look for this stuff weekly its not hard to see a leaky pinion seal or trans if you just look under at least once a week
Old 11-18-2010, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Wow this sucks. IMO, It may be cheaper to swap out the entire rear end from a salvage yard unit.(usually get a 90 day warranty too) I would rather take the time to swap a complete diff than deal with gearing, shimming and all that hoopla and can be done without any special tools
Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Yeah, I'm thinking the same way. I think it's the best way to get back on the road quickly. I will let you guys know what happens.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by jeff2285
you do realize replacing the pinion seal has nothing to do with blowing up your rear end right
they take off the companion flange, change the seal then put it back on
its not their fault in the first place and its just a coincidence that it blew up
they would only ask to change it if it was leaking and if it was you were probably low on fluid not their fault so just go buy the used diff
its probably whining now because all your bearings are pooched because you were low on fluid same reason your rear end went
look after your vehicle a little better and look for this stuff weekly its not hard to see a leaky pinion seal or trans if you just look under at least once a week

I purchased this vehicle with a leaking seal and I topped of the fliud before they did the tranny. It takes about 150 ft lb of torque to remove the flange nut, so they probably used an impact wrench. The re-install is critical and should be done with the carrier removed, which I know they didn't. They only charged me .8 hrs for the change. They also replaced the bearings with the new gearset, which was done improperly.

Don't tell me about proper maintenence! I've been working on my own vehicles for 50 years and only took it to them to rebuild the electronic 4-speed tranny!! Don't be too quick it judge before you have all the facts. It doesn't show intelligence.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by dave1123
I purchased this vehicle with a leaking seal and I topped of the fliud before they did the tranny. It takes about 150 ft lb of torque to remove the flange nut, so they probably used an impact wrench. The re-install is critical and should be done with the carrier removed, which I know they didn't. They only charged me .8 hrs for the change. They also replaced the bearings with the new gearset, which was done improperly.

Don't tell me about proper maintenence! I've been working on my own vehicles for 50 years and only took it to them to rebuild the electronic 4-speed tranny!! Don't be too quick it judge before you have all the facts. It doesn't show intelligence.
explian to me how to do that with the carrier removed?
get YOUR facts straight
Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

+1 Junkyard rear end. Even if you did get in touch with them, plausible deny-ability. Sucks but it's the way of the world. Find a good salvage yard rear end out of a low mileage truck, check the condition of the rear suspension to see if it was abused as a tow vehicle, then spend a weekend in the driveway.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Bustedknuckle; 11-19-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Originally Posted by jeff2285
explian to me how to do that with the carrier removed?
get YOUR facts straight

Why do you keep getting pissy when someone challenges your opinion? You claim to be working as a mechanic.. an uncertified one as you said earlier, doesnt make you the Czar of the Snap On box. You might wanna relax a bit, might learn something.

Check this out Jr..

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Quick Reply: ZJ rear axle screwup