Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Yikes! Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Yikes! Brakes

Hello!

My 2000 GC Limited was giving me no issues with the breaks until today. I was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden at a red light I hit the breaks and the car jerked, and then went forward. I literally ran a red light! It's happening off and on while driving now. I have to drive like a snail, and someone told me that I am going to have to keep my hand on the emergency break on the ride home.

I am scared to drive it home. What could have caused this to happen?

Any assistance is appreciated because this is a serious death trap.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by cewman0988
Hello!

My 2000 GC Limited was giving me no issues with the breaks until today. I was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden at a red light I hit the breaks and the car jerked, and then went forward. I literally ran a red light! It's happening off and on while driving now. I have to drive like a snail, and someone told me that I am going to have to keep my hand on the emergency break on the ride home.

I am scared to drive it home. What could have caused this to happen?

Any assistance is appreciated because this is a serious death trap.

Thanks!
I'd have to ask when the last time your brakes were serviced? For now tho, I'd check that the fluid reservoir has fluid, and that there are no visible leaks around the reservoir, booster or wheel cylinders. Check the booster as follows:
With engine off, pump the brake pedal several times and hold it down firmly, then start the engine. When the engine starts, it creates vacuum and operates the booster. If the pedal goes down slightly, the booster is working normally. If it does NOT move, the booster is not receiving manifold vacuum OR is malfunctioning. Please post back what you find out.