Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Xj Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Xj Problems

I have a 95 grand Cherokee, 4.0 with 123000. Recently started acting up, I was driving down the interstate at 70 and it just went full pedal and I tapped my brake after reaching 80. Tried resetting my cruise and it did the same, no indication lights or loss of power at this time. I was about 20 minutes away from the job site so I continued on, started working whenever I reached the job and went to lunch. My speedo was showing I was doing a 100 then bounce around, likewise for my temp gauge, and oil pressure. Also started loosing power, it takes off great, but within the first thirty feet you can feel and hear the jeep bog down. Worked the rest of the day and then started my 60 miles back home, almost reached my house, and about 5 stop signs away I was accelerating through one of them, shifted out of first, second, then halfway through third it kept wanting to shift back down to 2nd then shift back to 3rd. Pulled over pulled the hotwire to battery, sit for about 20/30 minutes then started it up and tried going. Same thing happened, I repeated the battery procedure, and started, she was running a little rough, shifted out fine, and got me the rest of the way home, but going up my driveway my check engine light appeared. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:46 AM

Have you had any success figuring out the problem? What was the CEL on for? Have you checked it out? Just shooting off the hip it sounds like a TPS (throttle position sensor) but, the CEL could tell a lot.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:23 AM

​​​​​​​I had done a little work yesterday, I tried renting the diagnostic reader at autozone, but they didn't carry the od1. So after researching just about all day I thumbed it down to an output speed sensor. It fixed my speedo, loss of power, and my check engine light isn't on anymore. I'll find out tomorrow when I head to work if it fixed everything. Thanks for your help.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by The Wild
Have you had any success figuring out the problem? What was the CEL on for? Have you checked it out? Just shooting off the hip it sounds like a TPS (throttle position sensor) but, the CEL could tell a lot.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

And BTW, that's a ZJ.