Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

would an engine run with these low compression numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default would an engine run with these low compression numbers?

My 4.7l have compression numbers raning from 105 to 95 except cylinder 2. Cylinder 2 has 70psi. Would the engine even run with these numbers? I would think it would not run or run poorly. My jeep runs great. Lots of power and idles great. The shop only did a compression test but no leakdown test. This shop is owned by jiffylube and has to do with a claim I have with them. These guys at the shop are a bunch of jokers. They told me blue smoke is unburnt fuel. After telling them its oil they looked online and agreed with me. I think these guys either did not know what they were doing or fudged the numbers so they could deny my claim.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

In my estimation, those numbers are a bit low, however they depend a lot on how the test was done. Was the throttle held wide open when cranking? Were all the spark plugs removed? Was the engine cranked thru 4 revolutions each time? What was the pressure on the first stroke? Was the engine warmed before doing the test?

Personally, I have a "thing" with Jiffylube after working for Valvoline for a long time. They don't impress me with their reputation. Their thing seems to be making money, not exemplary service. I may be biased, but Valvoline did things like torquing oil drain plugs in aluminum pans. Honda had a spec of 30 ft/lbs, + or - 2. Little things like attention to detail you don't find anywhere else.

It's obvious your engine runs with those numbers. I've seen Chevys run with 80 psi across the board, however they used a little oil and were tired.

I think they're trying to blow you off.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 PM

The engine was not warmed up. All the plugs were pulled because they showed them to me. Tjey had no oil on them. They did not do a leak down test. The district manager sent me a text calling me a liar. Aftwr posting on jiffylube facebook page he said he was sorry. He told me he would go to bat fir me and try to get my claim approved. This all started due to my car smoking when giving it throttle after idling and it goes away with wide open throtle. It did not smoke before I had the flush done. Only did the flush because i recently bought the car and the oil was black. Lesson learned. I really doubt he will go to bat for me. I cant believe he called me a liar in text. Thats awesome customer relations. I plan on driving the jeep until tje engine quites and then put a new one in. I woukd put a new one in today but wife is not having it. It is Jiffylubes shop so of course they are going to make it look like its an old engine and they are not responsible. All i want them to do is replace the valve seals since that is where the oil is leaking in from. They should of done a leakdown test but only did a compression test.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

People, stop going to Jiffy Lube! Only go there if you hate your vehicle and like wasting money on unneeded flushes.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
People, stop going to Jiffy Lube! Only go there if you hate your vehicle and like wasting money on unneeded flushes.
I never had a problem before. I only did oil changes. Its cheaper to have then doing it than doing it myself. Hiwever due to my most recent experience I will be changing my own oil.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by nwagtmustang
My 4.7l have compression numbers raning from 105 to 95 except cylinder 2. Cylinder 2 has 70psi. Would the engine even run with these numbers?
YES!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM

Getting a reman engine installed this weekend.