Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Won't start after changing fuel pump, external filter, and hoses

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Won't start after changing fuel pump, external filter, and hoses

I purchased a 99 WJ grand cherokee a few weeks ago (4.7). I discovered that it unfortunately suffered from a nasty fuel leak somewhere around the tank. This prompted me to pull the tank and investigate. As best I could tell, it seemed to be coming from around the pump. While I was down there, I ended up replacing the pump, external filter, and nylon fuel hoses which go from the filter to the pump. After putting it all back together today, it won't fire up. I see the fuel level gauge working which tells me the electrical harness is connected. I think I hear the pump running for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on. Should this be enough to re-prime the system since so much fuel was removed from the system while everything was disconnected for a week our do I need to do something more to prime it? I am at a loss. Please help. What should I check next? Thanks for your help!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and see if you're getting any pressure. Turning the key on a few times should be enough to prime the system.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: v8

bleed the air from the fuel rail, with the key in the "run" position.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rangermonroe
bleed the air from the fuel rail, with the key in the "run" position.
The air will bleed out of the fuel rail while cranking the engine over.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Member

sure, if he does it long enough. Pushing it down will let him know right now if he has fuel up there or not. If he does, then he can look elsewhere, if not... maybe recheck the fuel pump and lines.

Checking the easiest things first is the way I isolate a problem.

ETA: I see that you and I were answering him at the same time.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Thanks to both of you. It seems as though removing the lines from the filter and then cranking it allowed me to finally get fuel into the system. I really appreciate it!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

So you got it running?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Seasoned Member

yeah... details Man!

that aside... congratulations!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Yes. It is running now. I think I was fighting a losing battle by not trying to get the fuel up to rail with the line cracked open. Once I pulled the lines loose, I was able to get the fuel to travel to the engine. I went ahead and pulled the throttle body and cleaned it as well as the IAC too. It its running like a champ now! Thanks again guys.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:30 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I'm having the same problem on my 98 grand jeep Cherokee. I replaced the pump and the fuel pump kicks on and I am getting fuel through the fuel rail, but still won't start. I've changed the distributor cap and rotor along with the crankshaft position sensor. It's getting fire to the coil....help please

Originally Posted by Zenniwa
Yes. It is running now. I think I was fighting a losing battle by not trying to get the fuel up to rail with the line cracked open. Once I pulled the lines loose, I was able to get the fuel to travel to the engine. I went ahead and pulled the throttle body and cleaned it as well as the IAC too. It its running like a champ now! Thanks again guys.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Sporter88
I'm having the same problem on my 98 grand jeep Cherokee. I replaced the pump and the fuel pump kicks on and I am getting fuel through the fuel rail, but still won't start. I've changed the distributor cap and rotor along with the crankshaft position sensor. It's getting fire to the coil....help please
You have fuel at the rail, but at what pressure?
Old 10-16-2022, 09:06 AM

Default my 01 jeep grand Cherokee wont start

I’ve changed cam sensor, Crank sensor, timing chain bc it was loose. I have changed all spark plugs and coil rail. Cleaned all grounds. Changed everything multiple times bc one min it would start but would shut off while driving or spit and sputter while driving. it’s been going on for months and I get a misfire on cylinder 6. I’ve cleaned and changed it out. My vehicle did run for a few weeks. Did have its issues with shutting off here and there but always started right up til now. I was driving to work and I couldn’t make it up any hills and couldn’t get over 2000 rpm’s without it sputtering on me and losing sped and power. So Then I thought I must not be getting fuel. I checked the psi and it was 40 and I did some research and found that my keep needs to be between 44 and 54. I inspected my fuel lines and they were good so I changed my fuel filter/regulator and it was dirty but not clogged so I replaced it bc I had it for 50,000 miles and it needed changing anyways. Fuel pressure was still 40. I hooked up before the fuel filter with a gauge and saw it was still 40 so I replaced the fuel pump and found nothing in the tank. It started right up after priming the system and got 44psi. Went to try and take it for a test ride and it shut off and now only getting 30 psi. I need help. I feel like I’m back to square one. I’ve also replaced my PCM and had it flashed twice