Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

01 grand cherokee help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 grand cherokee help

i have a i6 GC, it has been sitting for two years it belonged to my mother inlaw who is no longer with us.. i started it up about six or seven months ago.. now it won't start i put about 5 gallons of gas in it because it was empty i primed the fuel pump by flipping the ignition switch on and off and still nothing.

i replaced the fuel filter and that did nothing also. so i went to the valve on the fuel rail and no fuel came out of it at all.. also i can hear the fuel pump humming for a few seconds and then it stops. can someone please help me figure this out? thanks, John
Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM

42 views an no one has a clue? anyone think it may be a clog? i tried cranking it over for 20seconds about 4 times thinking maybe the fuel line needed to be primed.. still nothing.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

It prob needs a fuel pump modual,there are o rings in the pump and if it has been sitting for a while I bet they are gone .There was a TSB for replaceing the o rings fo an extended cranking time.I would almost bet its the fuel pump.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee

If you dont have a guage, either push the schrader valve on the rail while someone is cycling the key or cranking, if no fuel there, you can go back to the filter and pop the line off and try the same thing. Both places should spray fuel out when you cycle the key.

I doubt you have a clog, I would suspect the fuel pump has failed. I would also plan on draining what fuel is left in the tank, two years sitting is not good on fuel or fuel pumps. If it was actually empty, the old fuel might have dried up and left powdery residue behind and in ruining the pump.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:33 PM

already tried someone turning the switch and checking the valve nothing alittle air if anything.. ill check the fuel filter tomorrow.. i was reading on another site not to go with a after market fuel pump to stick with oem is this true? how much will a oem run? an does anyone have a write up on replacing the fuel pump?? thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by 40thmustanggt
already tried someone turning the switch and checking the valve nothing alittle air if anything.. ill check the fuel filter tomorrow.. i was reading on another site not to go with a after market fuel pump to stick with oem is this true? how much will a oem run? an does anyone have a write up on replacing the fuel pump?? thanks for the help guys!
Well, I can't speak for this particular application but I hardly ever use OEM pumps and never had bad luck from aftermarkets , OEM pumps are usually just too damn expensive. For me changing a pump in most vehicles is not a hard task and using aftermarket pumps can save hundreds of dollars. With that said if the difference was less than say 100 bucks I might go with a OEM. I would also check into getting an assembly that includes a fuel sender, or maybe replace the sender while you are there.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM

thanks for the info guy's! look's like ill be sticking around for awhile!