Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Won't start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Won't start!!!!

While trying to figure out whats wrong with my wipers on my 94 GC, I disconnected the aftermarket alarm system because I thought maybe it was part of the problem. It was connected to the factory wires by solder so I cut the alarm wire as close to the factory wire as I could get and electrical taped it. I know the problem is not a wire being severed or not connected. When I go to start the vehicle, I hear the fuel pump kick on and the dash lights up but the starter doesn't crank. While looking in the fuse panel for a blown fuse, I noticed #6 (security alarm module) and #7 (Security Alarm Relay, Security alarm module, Flash-to-pass) did not have fuses in them. When I put fuses in, the security light flashes when I turn the key on. I don't have the original remotes so I don't know if that is the problem cause I can't turn off the security by using the remote.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Default security light

I got the security light to go out by unlocking both front doors with the key, but the starter still refuses to crank. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM

I took apart the wiring harness that goes through the drivers door. Some of the wires were cracked so I put electrical tape around each one. I also grounded the purple/yellow wire and capped off the door side. Now all my windows work and my security light is out, but my car still won't crank. What could be the problem??????
Old 10-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Default Code 12

Code 12 is the only code I am getting. Why is no one responding to my post?!?!!?!?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Regarding the no start issue, try moving the gear selector thru the gears and try starting in Park or Neutral. Your transmission switch may be out of rig. On manual transmission you have a clutch switch and the pedal must be depressed.

Next check is the starter solenoid. Your battery has to be charged and terminals clean and tight including those on the solenoid and starter. Do you hear the solenoid click when you try to start? If no click you will need to check for power at the solenoid wire. You can have a helper try to start while you check for voltage at the solenoid terminal, small terminal on solenoid. You should have battery voltage. If voltage is there you should also hear the solenoid click.

If voltage is there and no click, you probably have a bad solenoid. Take to an auto electric shop and have them check. Solenoid contacts can be replaced. If you have voltage at the solenoid then your start circuit is good and the problem is the solenoid/starter.

You can also run a wire from the battery + to the solenoid terminal. If the starter turns the solenoid is good. Your problem then is in the ignition switch, starter relay, neutral switch/clutch or wiring. If starter does not turn, remove and have checked.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM

thanks for the info. i don't really think its the starter because it only happened when I changed the battery terminals and removed the old alarm. I will be sure to check the starter though. Is there a way to check the starter relay?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

You can try exchanging the relay with one that is working. Just for a test.

See relay picture here.

With ohmmeter positive probe + on terminal 86 and negative probe - on 85 you should have about 75 ohm. With + on 30 and - on 87A you should have continuity. With + on 30 and - on 87 there should not be continuity.

Now with battery + voltage on 86 and battery ground - on 85, check for continuity between 30 and 87 as above. There should be continuity. No continuity bad relay.

I use a small 12V gel cell battery for testing.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM

The relay is not bad, I just checked it. One more thing to cross off the list.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Are you getting electric to the solenoid wire? If there is no power, then your problem is in the starting circuit. If there is power, you problem is in the solenoid/starter.

Last edited by ET JEEP; 10-15-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks for helping me, it is VERY crappy weather here in Jersey. I will check the starter as soon as I can. I guess the best way would be to use jumper cables since they are a thick gauge.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7

Is it possible that your alarm had a starter disable feature? I have seen this in aftermarket alarms. A relay interrupts the circuit from the start terninal @ the ign switch to the starter relay. When you disabled/removed tha alarm, you might have cut a circuit that stared the vehicle.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by steventirrell
Thanks for helping me, it is VERY crappy weather here in Jersey. I will check the starter as soon as I can. I guess the best way would be to use jumper cables since they are a thick gauge.
I would not use the jumper cable. I would get down at the solenoid, with a multi meter, and have someone try to start the vehicle. Then you can check the voltage at the solenoid. We need to know whether the starting circuit is good or not. If there is no voltage, the problem is the starting circuit. As Falkon stated, you may have disabled something in the start circuit. So we need to know if you are getting power to the solenoid.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Figured out the probllem. You were right. It is the gear selector. I put it in nuetral and it started right up. I had to go through the gears a couple times before it would start in park. Thanks for the info. Now I just gotta replace the gear selector switch (whatever that is).
Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

It is called the transmission neutral start switch. It just may need adjustment.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Here is a thread on the XJ side that may help.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/neu...-switch-22582/

Quick Reply: Won't start!!!!