Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ window inner belt moulding from Crown, issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default WJ window inner belt moulding from Crown, issues.

I bought a pair of front inner belt mouldings from Oconee Off-Road, the mouldings are made by Crown. My factory belt mouldings have felt on them for the glass to slide across, the Crown mouldings do not. Picture for reference: https://imgur.com/a/ER8j8

The rubber does feel smooth, and both were like that so I figured I'd install one in case there was something I was missing. Just add I thought tho, the glass grabs the belt moulding and gets stopped dead in it's tracks.

I have contacted Oconee off road about this and they will not refund me money without having me pay to ship the items back AND pay a 20% restocking fee.

I called Crown and the guy on the phone was very nice and went and looked at one they had in stock and talked to a tech and said there's is the same, all rubber.

What am I missing here? Obviously rubber against glass causes very good traction. All of my other cars have felt on the belt mouldings, I'm a tech at a jeep dealer, all of our cars have felt on the belt mouldings. Is crown just making these mouldings incorrectly?

Last edited by DualSportDad; 01-24-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Try spraying the rubber with some silicon. You may end up having to repeat this on occasion, but it may help. I had a 92 Isuzu PU once and all the stock molding around the windows did the same thing for the whole time I owned it. The spray silicone would temporarily stop the grabbing, but not permanently. And I hope this will be the last time that you by parts from Oconee Off-Road. I refuse to deal with service providers with such rigid policies.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by blueseasons
Try spraying the rubber with some silicon. You may end up having to repeat this on occasion, but it may help. I had a 92 Isuzu PU once and all the stock molding around the windows did the same thing for the whole time I owned it. The spray silicone would temporarily stop the grabbing, but not permanently. And I hope this will be the last time that you by parts from Oconee Off-Road. I refuse to deal with service providers with such rigid policies.
My permanent fix is I cut the part that touches the glass off the stock moulding.

I will never do business with Oconee off road again, ever!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:59 AM

Update: Crown ended up refunding my money, Oconee off road would not. After talking with Adrian at Crown it looks like not putting felt on their belt mouldings was a oversight. Crown was very nice to deal with and very helpful, I can't say the same about Oconee off road.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Good for you. Good for CROWN. Oversite? Why are they selling it? These vendors that wish to play hardball are going to lose out in the end. Another guy, Dave 123 said that RiockAuto would not stand behind labor for a defective heater core. I won't deal with those guys either. Thanks for checking back. Are you going to replace it with something?

Last edited by blueseasons; 01-29-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM

Good for you. Good for CROWN. Oversite? Why are they selling it? These vendors that wish to play hardball are going to lose out in the end. Another guy, Dave 123 said that RiockAuto would not stand behind a defective heater core. I won't deal with those guys either. Thanks for checking back. Are you going to replace it with something?
I'm not sure what happened on crown's end, but all of our belt mouldings have felt on them. As far as replacing them I won't. On the driver's side so far I just took a pair of scissors and cut the felt areas of the belt moulding off so now nothing touches the inside of the window. No more horrible screeching noise now, lol.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:03 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Good for you. Good for CROWN. Oversite? Why are they selling it? These vendors that wish to play hardball are going to lose out in the end. Another guy, Dave 123 said that RiockAuto would not stand behind a defective heater core. I won't deal with those guys either. Thanks for checking back. Are you going to replace it with something?
Don't be dissing Rockauto! They gave me my money back and offered to send me a replacement overnight! They wouldn't cover the labor though.

My OE weatherstrips don't have felt on them, but they are soft enough now to roll under instead of wipe, but only on the driver's door. The ones on my other 3 windows are rock hard, but work just fine.

Last edited by dave1123; 01-29-2018 at 12:11 AM.