Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Grand Cherokee - Brake binding

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default WJ Grand Cherokee - Brake binding

Hi guys. I live in the UK and have owned a 2001 WJ Gransd Cherokee 4.7L V9 from new. Great car. My problems started last year. I changed all of the discs ( rotors ?) and pads last Aug and the brakes began to bind on and overheart. I stripped it all down and started again. It worked and I had no more trouble until 5 weeks ago. Due to a new job I don't drive very far these days, less than 10 p/d. To visit my 'local' Jeep dealer I had to drive 30 odd miles and the car began to slow down and it weas clear the brakes were overheating to the point that smoke was coming from the from the front wheels. I pulled over and mulled it over and eventually removed the vacuum pipe from the brake servo ( power brake booster). It worked and all was well ( I replced the non-return valve). It happened again last weekend but yet again it was after a 20 mile urban trip. It happens only after a longish trip - heat ? It happens on all 4 wheels so can't be the calipers. If its the master cylinder, why only after a long trip? If it is the pistons sticking, why only after a long trip? Help please ?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM

Default Brakes binding + engine overheating

Dear Pete
I have exactly the same problem as you.
Just bought the vehicle, UK Blackpool area. Mobile: 07523 287267

Desperate for info
2001 Grand Cherokee Jeep limited edition

Brakes binding after a longer than normal journey?
To the point of smoke.

Also overheating engine with no detection of fan assistance?

Can anyone help??

either text me on +447523287267 or
email mike@rake.net

Would be deeply appreciated.
Love the vehicle but only owned it 3 days and so dissappointed.
PLEASE HELP RESTORE MY FAITH IN JEEP.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:41 AM

Default Brakes misery !

I have a 2000 grand cherokee which began giving me issues when I replaced the pads all round.
The mechanic told me that one of the calipers needed replacing as it was sticking. I did this and began experiencing problems with binding from that point on. I have now replaced all pads, both front discs, both front calipers and both front hoses. The problem seems fixed until I have been driving for a little while. They then just lock solid !
A guy told be about an adjustment on the master cylinder behind the reservoir, but now we don't know where to set this. Is there a set amount of turns from the fully out position ?

Failing this, any more ideas guys ?

Thanks

Steve
07764 320571
steve.burke@sunseeker.com
Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 AM

its the vacume brake booster thats causing this if you take the vacume hose off and they release its the booster, replace the booster
Old 07-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Guys

I had the same thoughts about the brake pressure booster (servo). But why did the problem only manifest itself after a pad change ? However, when the problem first came on my car I disconnected the vacuum pipe and it did cure the fault for a while.
The problem came back again last week ( only after a longer run) but this time it was only on the front LHS brake. This suggests a caliper problem rather that a brake booster issue.

When you change the pads you have to push the pistons back into the caliper housing. I can't see hoiw this would effcet the booster but it would push fluid back into the master cylinder and could affcet some of the seals in there. So my thoughts are turning towards the MC. I'm not aware of any adjustment on the MC and it isn't mentioned in the Haynes Manual. What do you mean by "the fully out position" ?