Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Grand Cherokee Alternator & Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 Lt V8
Default WJ Grand Cherokee Alternator & Fog lights

G'Day,
Recently acquired my 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee with 4.7Lt V8 and I LOVE IT!!!
but seeing i got 2 weeks off i thought i do some research as I would like to fix a few things.
1st thing is alternator bearings are noisey I used to rebuild alternators an was wondering if anyone has taken one apart and know the bearing sizes,part numbers??
Also the front fog lights not working, checked the fuse, thats OK, checked the relay and thats OK too.Also seem to get power to relay OK can hear it clicking. so I think there must be a connector issue??

Cheers
JT
Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

are the lights good? can't tell ya about the alternator,
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I have rebuilt MANY GM alternators over the years and almost always had to disassemble them to get the bearing numbers because I never recorded the last ones. There was a shop nearby that rebuilt electric motors so I went there with the bearings in hand. The counter man guessed by looking at them saying "GM alternator?" I said yes and he went back in the stacks and brought them out. I wasn't in the store for more than 5 minutes. I'm assuming they could do the same with a Mopar alternator. I think it's a Denso.

While you've got it apart, replace the brushes and polish the slip rings.

On the fog lights, make sure the bulbs are okay before you go any farther.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-23-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM

hi guys thanks for the feedback so far, the globes are fine,i think the problem could be between the switch and the fuse/relay box but the rear fog lights switch on/off ok.
As for the alternator will have to wait after the festive season when shops are open im sure i can get the bearings over the counter once i show them the old bearings but was kinda hoping to get the parts in before removing the alternator
Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by baracuda
hi guys thanks for the feedback so far, the globes are fine,i think the problem could be between the switch and the fuse/relay box but the rear fog lights switch on/off ok.
As for the alternator will have to wait after the festive season when shops are open im sure i can get the bearings over the counter once i show them the old bearings but was kinda hoping to get the parts in before removing the alternator
fixed the foglight issue i wired in another relay and used the rear fog lights to trigger relay :-)
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Here we go again with differences with export and domestic jeeps! I have a 2000 WJ and I wasn't aware rear fogs were an option. Kinda' cool idea, but I've never seen any here. I've seen guys mount small driving light for reverse lights but never rear fogs. I don't think our laws would allow them.

While we're talking about fog lights, what is your preference for color? I like a deep yellow light that doesn't throw back a lot of glare more then bright white floods. I've used wide angle halogens with yellow lenses but I can't seem to find them any more.

I'm sorry about not reading your post well enough to see that you've rebuilt alternators before. I'm just an old fart that doesn't pay attention. Just ask my wife!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:13 AM

I thought Hella still did yellow Halogen globes ?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Yes they do, but the light they produce is very white with a little yellow tinge. Not to my liking enough to spend my money on. I like something that will show the sides of the road without all that glare. Amber lenses seem to work best.

I have a pair of 3X6 amber fogs now, but they are so old the chrome is coming off the reflectors and the lenses have been repolished several times. I'm trying to figure out where to mount them because the WJ doesn't give me many options. The roof rack is the easiest place but I'm not sure how much of the near road they will light. With enough down angle they may work okay.

My problem with the factory fogs is when I deliver newspapers, I stick my left front fender into snow drifts and have had trouble with my fender liner because of this. I don't think the stock fog lights will survive.

I was thinking about your problem. Why don't you rewire yours to a new dash mounted switch and separate relay? Just make sure you take your switch supply off the ignition system so that when you turn off the engine, the lights go out.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-29-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:15 PM

i ended up installing a seperate relay, but the feed still came from original relay location so still uses original fuse etc and wiring to foglights. the trigger wire to activate my relay is from the rear foglights, so the light switch still turns both the front and rear foglights on together like how it was original.