Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

Wj Bad O Ring between reservoir and pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7Ho
Question Wj Bad O Ring between reservoir and pump

Hallo guys i had a foaming power steering fluid and its look also like burping,pump its also whine.I checked it up their is a Leak fluid between pump and reservoir i think its big O Ring sealent.Could this O ring make the Air enters to the system and make the fluid foam and burp.Thanks in advance for all interventions
Old 06-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Could this O ring make the Air enters to the system and make the fluid foam and burp.Thanks in advance for all interventions
Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It sounds to me there is a blockage on the pump intake, maybe a plugged screen, causing the pump to cavitate.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:50 AM

Dave the blockage on the pump intake you mean inside it or where the reservoir connect with pump,what about The O Ring i think it had install on wrong way inside the hole can it cause this foam or may block some fluid to enter the pump, the pump is new and its Reman.thanks dave for help
Old 06-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Not looking over your shoulder, I can't tell you what the problem is, but there is either air getting into the pump intake or the port itself is blocked. I'm used to the pumps where the entire rear housing is the reservoir. On those, there is usually a screen on the submerged intake port.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 AM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0

Hey Ali. The foaming is from air infiltration and needs to be purged out. You should fix that leak before you purge out the air. Just so I am clear about the pump because it's be a while since I worked on one let me know if this information is not correct. We are talking about a pump that has the 2 locking tabs at the connection point correct? You need to lift the tabs and then slide off the locking clips correct? At this point you can separate the reservoir from the pump. If I remember correctly these are 2 differently configured locking clips and the top one needs to be reinstalled on the top and the other needs to be reinstalled at the bottom. Please ensure you did not reverse them because I think it's possible to do that. Did you have to force on either of those locking clips? As for the O ring, I don't think it matters which direction you install it as long as it is fully seated in the groove and well lubricated. You should remove the pump and check all the above. Replace the o ring make sure it's well lubed and installed inside the groove and reinstall the reservoir making sure it is fully seated against the pump and that the locking clips are installed properly then purge out the air.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:21 AM

Yes man you are correct,Thank you very much great post from a great person ,I will remove the pump soon.

Last edited by Ali112; 06-08-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Fishbone to the rescue AGAIN! Thanks, guy, for clearing that up. I can get people started looking in the right direction, but am a little sketchy on specifics sometimes.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:14 AM

Smile

Thank you guys DAVE AND WISHBONE
Old 06-04-2017, 07:54 PM

Model: Cherokee

I replaced my power steering pump/reservoir on my 93 GC 6 cyc. It ran fine and then started leaking around the connection between the reservoir and pump. When I replaced the pump I ran the wheel back and forth with the cap off the reservoir to purge the air out of the system. Now two weeks later it is leaking again around the reservoir where it connects to the pump. This was a second complete replacement, pump and reservoir so all was new. I took the first one back figuring it was defective. So I took it apart and used some permatex around the o ring and re-connected the reservoir to the pump. It seemed to me like the o ring was not very tight. Could this be a bad rebuild or something else going on? Is the proper bleeding just moving the wheel back and forth with the top off so the air can Burp out of the fluid?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

The system will burp with the cap on, or off. It is not pressurised like the cooling system is. I took a chance and replaced that grommet/oring on mine and it worked the first time. I bought a pump rebuild kit from NAPA since nobody listed just the grommet. I got a bag of parts, without any directions or names to the parts. There were 2 grommets in the package that looked similar to the one one I needed. I eyeballed them, then picked one. Put it all back together and it has been fine for over a month. I can't tell you if you got 2 consecutive defective pumps. I have read that rebuilt power steering pumps in general do not hold up and if you have the stock MOPAR pump it is best to rebuild it rather than chance a rebuild, especially if it's just this seal that is leaking. That is why I took the chance and tried to fix mine. I am old enough to have owned vehicles before PS was standard. Of all the vehicles that I have owned that has had power steering, I have never had to replace a power steering pump. This is the first time I have had an issue with a PS pump. Its on a JEEP and I have learned to expect nothing less from it.

Last edited by blueseasons; 06-06-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Model: Cherokee

I too remember not having PS...1956 chevy. I think I may have figure this out. I never had done the back and forth of the steering without the engine running. So I did that and found it actually started pushing fluid up to the top of the reservoir. I did the manual back and forth about 20 time and then about 20 times with the engine running. I then let it sit and looked for any leaks....did not see any like before. I then went and bought some blue devil PS leak sealer and added some of that as they say it makes the seals swell to stop leaks. So far so good.
Still not sure how manually burping the pump stops fluid from leaking around a seal between the reservoir and the pump.