Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee front disc brake dust shields question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default WJ 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee front disc brake dust shields question

Hello,

I had been trying to lock down a death wobble for some time and finally found it. It's the disc brakes on the inside getting dust. I clean them the wobble will stop if they get too dirty. That led me to believe that this former "junk yard" project car that I've been working on may have had at one point brake dust shields on them at one point.

Were these cars supposed to have them?
I overhauled the brakes. But keeping them clean seems to be key to avoid that wobble that develops after a while. It goes away everytime I clean the discs up. And on the inside they get pretty dirty!

Thanks
Old 07-05-2016, 04:19 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

All I can tell you is my 2000 never had them and I don't get wobble because of brake dust. I WILL say however I've had a lot of problems with my front brakes with squeaking, dragging, and stuck pistons. They were the Teves calipers used on the 99-01 WJs and they were a PITA! I finally gave up on them and switched to the later Akebono calipers and ended my problems, so far! I also use drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads which help ventilate the heat and wipe the dust off. My jeep is heavily loaded 3 days a week with newspapers so I went to towing package brake pads.

I bit the bullet and went with a 4 wheel brake kit by Power Stop from rockauto which includes calipers, rotors, brackets, and pads. I spent $492 including core charges of about $75. That included shipping charges. The only thing I didn't care for is they are red powder-coated and make me look like some kind of racer! LOL! It took a couple of days for them to settle in, but now they are perfect. With the Teves calipers and semi-metalic pads, I used to get a lot of brake dust on the wheels and they looked like crap, but the Akebono with ceramic pads don't. With the Teves and ceramic pads, they used to rattle and squeak.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-05-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by dave1123
All I can tell you is my 2000 never had them and I don't get wobble because of brake dust. I WILL say however I've had a lot of problems with my front brakes with squeaking, dragging, and stuck pistons. They were the Teves calipers used on the 99-01 WJs and they were a PITA! I finally gave up on them and switched to the later Akebono calipers and ended my problems, so far! I also use drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads which help ventilate the heat and wipe the dust off. My jeep is heavily loaded 3 days a week with newspapers so I went to towing package brake pads.

I bit the bullet and went with a 4 wheel brake kit by Power Stop from rockauto which includes calipers, rotors, brackets, and pads. I spent $492 including core charges of about $75. That included shipping charges. The only thing I didn't care for is they are red powder-coated and make me look like some kind of racer! LOL! It took a couple of days for them to settle in, but now they are perfect. With the Teves calipers and semi-metalic pads, I used to get a lot of brake dust on the wheels and they looked like crap, but the Akebono with ceramic pads don't. With the Teves and ceramic pads, they used to rattle and squeak.
These are Akebono's with slotted and drilled rotors. The pads are ceramic.
Maybe the pads are the issue? I just know cleaning the rotors off and heat seam to be the root cause of it. Everytime so far I've cleaned them off it stops for a while. Then, it comes back. Clean them up they are fine again. But if in use for a while (heat related) it does it again. I'm just wondering if it is those ceramic pads heating up doing this.