Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wiring questions on 4.7l WJ

Old 11-29-2016, 12:49 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Wiring questions on 4.7l WJ

Looking into buying a very clean WJ locally right now, it has a fresh rebuild on the motor (about 3500 miles), however it doesn't run currently. The owner/seller of this WJ claims it needs a new "wiring harness" after looking into it more I questioned him on what he meant specifically by that and he claims that is just the connectors for the injectors, but I don't really know what to think of this in general. He is asking $1600 for it, no rust, leather interior Laredo. What do you guys say? Should I pull the trigger or is it not worth the risk? All and any advice is appreciated, fire away in the comments, I want here all opinions
Old 11-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Beach Bum

Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would not buy it until it runs. How did the motor get 3,500 miles on its rebuild if there was a harness issue?
The 4.7 is notorious for engine issues if not fully maintained.
I paid $2,000 for a running driving 2000 WJ with 4.0 motor, leather interior, 194,000 miles, clean with no rust issues.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:32 PM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by SteveMongr View Post
I would not buy it until it runs. How did the motor get 3,500 miles on its rebuild if there was a harness issue?
The 4.7 is notorious for engine issues if not fully maintained.
I paid $2,000 for a running driving 2000 WJ with 4.0 motor, leather interior, 194,000 miles, clean with no rust issues.
Alright, thanks a lot man,just talked to my auto professor about the topic of it and he basically said the same thing
Old 11-30-2016, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

What year is the WJ your looking at? I have no issues with the 4.7HO myself but it also is dependent on the year for some problems.

Don't be shy about it find out the boob value for a private sale in good condition. Then approach the seller about both of you taking it to a shop to see what is wrong with it and the cost to have it repaired.

From there you can back off or start wheeling and dealing knowing what your looking at. The 4.7HO's usually come with heaver duty drive trains in them and option packages.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

IDK if this helps, but people who aren't familiar with Mopar connectors break the locking clips on the injector plugs. This can cause random misfires from loss of signal. With the engine swap, that's probably what happened.

The injectors are constant 12V and they are grounded inside the PCM by drivers. (digital switches)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: