Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Just purchased 05 Grand Cherokee, brake issues and gas cap warning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Just purchased 05 Grand Cherokee, brake issues and gas cap warning?

Hi all - new to the forum and new to owning a Jeep. My 2005 with 100k miles had the front brakes replaced after I felt a very soft pedal during test drive.

After picking it up last night, after new brakes on the front, the pedal is still soft for the first 2 inches. And now the gas cap light is on.

From reading the forum it looks like a vacuum issue is a possibility for both this. Does this sound reasonable?

-any input would be helpful.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Get used to the brakes. Mopar brakes tend to have a lot of pedal movement before things start to happen. As long as the pedal is firm without power and they function properly when applied while driving, that's the best there is. That's the major thing I had to get used to with jeeps because for too many years, I drove Chevys. Totally different.

You gas cap warning is probably a leak in the evap system somewhere, usually the seal on the cap. The Leak Detection Pump cycles on startup to pull a vacuum on the tank and system. As long as it holds vacuum for a specified time, it releases the vacuum and the canister purge solenoid takes over to suck out any condensate in the canister. My 2000 WJ doesn't have a light, just a "not ready" warning when you check the monitors for inspection. A scan tool will show the problem better.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-30-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

Get used to the brakes. Mopar brakes tend to have a lot of pedal movement before things start to happen. As long as the pedal is firm without power and they function properly when applied while driving, that's the best there is. That's the major thing I had to get used to with jeeps because for too many years, I drove Chevys. Totally different.

You gas cap warning is probably a leak in the evap system somewhere, usually the seal on the cap. The Leak Detection Pump cycles on startup to pull a vacuum on the tank and system. As long as it holds vacuum for a specified time, it releases the vacuum and the canister purge solenoid takes over to suck out any condensate in the canister. My 2000 WJ doesn't have a light, just a "not ready" warning when you check the monitors for inspection. A scan tool will show the problem better.
Thank you for your input! Is there anything that would help the brakes? (Such as slotted, stainless steel brake lines, or after market master cylinder) I live in NY and I'm not sure how this is gonna work out in the snow. I mean I've driven my jetta with a broken caliper and it felt better than this!
Old 11-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Nope. I use mine for newspaper delivery and I'm usually out there well before the plows. The only braking problems I've had is that stupid ABS system not allowing me to stop where I want to, instead sliding past the mailboxes. Kicking it into neutral helps. Usually this just happens going downhill on hardpack or ice.

I never really was happy with the pedal feel, but I've grown used to it. I still gives me a sense of not really being in control or having something wrong with it. In a panic stop, they work perfectly and in control.