Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Winter tires

First off, i was wondering what is the biggest tire you can fit on a stock XJ. I know this question has probably been asked all over the forum lol. I will be lifting it at least 3" in a few weeks.
Second, my jeep is a DD... looking for the best tire to have for driving in snow or wet pavement for most of the time, but some off-roading on the weekends. Any suggestions?? Or will any mud tire be more than good enough for a sloppy WI winter?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Mud tires suck on ice (MUCH worse than all terrains).... but they are great for snow.

I decided on BFG T/A KO tires for mine. I have heard great things about them for all road conditions. As far as the largest tire you can fit on a stock XJ... I have heard 30" and 31". If you are lifting in a few weeks I would wait until you do and get a larger tire like a 31" or 32".
Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM
pwb

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default ..

wrong post, sorry
Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l

Are those the tires in your picture? Also, everyone keeps telling me tirerack.com is the bear place for getting deals on tires. Anyone ever use them?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Go to wholesale tire in Brookfield if you can.

BFG all terrains aren't that great. I have run them, have had better luck with others.

With that 3" you should easily fit 31s.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeJeep
Are those the tires in your picture? Also, everyone keeps telling me tirerack.com is the bear place for getting deals on tires. Anyone ever use them?
The tire in my avatar is a bridgestone dueler AT revo. The BFG TA is a good all around tire. No sacrifice in road manners. That is the reason I got it. Tirerack.com is a great site with good customer service. However shipping can kill the deal you get. Also if you have them ship to an "authorized" shop that shop will charge the full installation price to install them so bear that in mind.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by razor02097
Tirerack.com is a great site with good customer service. However shipping can kill the deal you get. Also if you have them ship to an "authorized" shop that shop will charge the full installation price to install them so bear that in mind.
Not knocking TireRack, but be aware that should you get a tire that is out-of-round or has another flaw, you will have 3 new tires on the vehicle while you send the bad tire back and await a replacement tire.

No thank you ... I'll go to the local tire store of choice and pay a little more in order to have a local "face" to talk to if there is a problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hidalgo
Not knocking TireRack, but be aware that should you get a tire that is out-of-round or has another flaw, you will have 3 new tires on the vehicle while you send the bad tire back and await a replacement tire.

No thank you ... I'll go to the local tire store of choice and pay a little more in order to have a local "face" to talk to if there is a problem.
Well see depending on the tire and size you will have the same issue at a store. Many stores only carry so much in stock (usually the very popular tires and sizes). If the store has to order in tires and they get a defective one you will be waiting just as long as you would ordering them from tire rack.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM

Well see depending on the tire and size you will have the same issue at a store. Many stores only carry so much in stock (usually the very popular tires and sizes). If the store has to order in tires and they get a defective one you will be waiting just as long as you would ordering them from tire rack.
I've purchased many, many tires of "odd" sizes in my 42 years of driving, and I've never had a problem of this manner with a local store. And it would have to be a REALLY odd size for this to happen. Most local chain stores get their stock from a warehouse close by. They can usually get tires (or a single tire) in 24 hours. And if it did happen, you would still have the "face" to look at and talk to. Just my opinion. Tire rack has been in business for many years, and I'm certain that during that time they have had an abundance of pleased customers or they wouldn't still be around. Like I said, I'm not knocking them in any shape, form, or fashion. But I'm just more "comfortable" buying tires face-to-face.

Hope you find what you need.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

The tire in my avatar is a bridgestone dueler AT revo. The BFG TA is a good all around tire. No sacrifice in road manners. That is the reason I got it. Tirerack.com is a great site with good customer service. However shipping can kill the deal you get. Also if you have them ship to an "authorized" shop that shop will charge the full installation price to install them so bear that in mind.
I use AT revos on my truck for day-to-day driving. Love them.

Hate the BFG all terrains though.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: rebuilt straight 6

There are 2 tires i would recommend.
1st is the bfg mud terrains KM2. great in mud, snow, water, rock, everywhere great minus ice, where they suck.
2nd are the bfg all terrains KO. great everywhere except mud, but rule the ice and get better mileage with less noise. that's what i run and i love them.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
I use AT revos on my truck for day-to-day driving. Love them.

Hate the BFG all terrains though.
I am on my second set. They are nice but they do have their limitations... do you have the revo or the revo 2?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

3" and 31's are a good combo

best snow tires ive ran are hankook dynapro ATM's.
They are quiet on onroad and perform very well offroad and in icy conditions...me and a bunch of other guys run them on our plow trucks and they go real good, tall and skinny is better for snow too...very reasonably priced to boot

If you do decide to run chains, just remember when a bungee snaps, it is bound to happen, your quarter panels are gonna get destroyed, happened on my F250
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

I am on my second set. They are nice but they do have their limitations... do you have the revo or the revo 2?
Pretty sure my wife has the Revo 2s on her TJ. Not sure about mine, I think they may just be Revo.
Originally Posted by War Eagle
tall and skinny is better for snow too...
Yes, to a certain point. If your doing normal pavement driving you want something that will cut through the slush and bite pavement. However, once the slop reaches a certain depth queers tires for more flotation is where its at.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

Tread Wright Tires .com check them out, best tire prices ever!!! hands down !!!!

as far as winter tires what do you get for winter there? in upstat NY we get hella snow some times 2-3 feet in a night. i run an all terrain. lots of little tread pattern ti shift under the wieght of the rig and bite the icey roads the mud pattern has fewer lugs, thus less bite on ice. picture how a window wiper blade hits the window. one point of contact (mud tire) now picture 15 wiper blades all line up, multiple points of contact (A/T)

Quick Reply: Winter tires