Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Why has my engine coolant vanished?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Why has my engine coolant vanished?

A few months ago I did an engine coolant flush at a local Garage franchise and instead of adding me the red-pink engine coolant they put me that universal **** green yellow colored engine coolant. Could that be a reason why this morning the engine coolant is gone? Or another reason? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:06 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Refresh my memory. What are you driving?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Coolant can only go two places,Its got a leak or its burning it.And have you checked the trans fluid to make sure the radiators trans cooler don't have a leak inside letting one fluid go where it shouldn't.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 AM

Hi, I think I overreacted. I checked in the sunlight and there was at least an inch of coolant fluid left on my 2006 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo.

I went and bought some, they gave me a Chrysler one and it's orange colored. I went back inside and told them you're driving me nuts. First they put me that yellow green fluid now they're giving me an orange one. They were all like no no no it doesn't matter what color you put as long as it's premixed. I left shaking my head. You tell me...
Old 11-26-2016, 11:09 AM

I've already repaired leaking tranny lines problem a few years ago. But I'll check again. Trans oil looked fine.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It DOES matter what you put in it, especially if it had HOAT in it before! Chrysler has been fracking around with different coolants for a while now and keeps changing them for whatever reasons I couldn't tell you. I think HOAT was designed to stop corrosion on the aluminum heads. If you mix that **** with standard green coolant, it will curd up and plug radiators and heater cores. Corvette and Cadillac had problems years ago with aluminum radiators and green ethylene-glycol antifreeze so they used an additive in the form of a pellet that you put in the radiator when doing a flush. My 2000 WJ was the last year Chrysler used green glycol, but my radiator is original and 200K old! It's getting so we can't keep up with whatever they are doing now.

If it were mine, and it isn't, I'd give it a good chemical flush, fill it up with good old green ethylene-glycol, and call it good!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Hi guys, so I found out it's not an engine coolant leak but an oil leak coming from the timing chain cover. I also filled up the engine coolant reservoir last night, and looked this morning before and after driving to work and the level was the same. Except a few mm higher after driving to work. If you know anything that can help out or care to read my issue here is the new thread:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/oil...3/#post3334606

Thanks