Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Oil leak from Timing Chain Cover 2006 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil leak from Timing Chain Cover 2006 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I went for a regular oil change tire change etc, and was told I have an oil leak coming from the timing chain cover? This oil leak has been ongoing for a few months now. In a previous oil change a mechanic had mentioned I may have an oil leak coming from something that may lead to a head gasket leak or something I'm not sure. Today I am going back to the mechanic to ask him if the leak is coming only from the timing chain cover.

From what I've been reading they gave me a decent quote to change the timing chain cover gasket, 5 hours of labour and a 20$ gasket part.

Do you guys think this will fix my problem? I've also changed a thermostat and water pump that was leaking coolant from the wheeping hole a few years ago. Just wanted to mention these in case they have anything to do with it.

I've also read 4.7's seem to have this issue after a while. My engine has 165,000 miles. There was also some issues with idling when not allowing the Jeep to warm up for at least 15-30 seconds before driving off. (Sometimes).

I uploaded a picture of an oil leak I found this morning: I touched and felt it, feels like nice clean oil, but than again, what the heck do I know? Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Oil leak from Timing Chain Cover 2006 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee-20161206_084240_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Easywolf32; 12-06-2016 at 09:39 AM.