Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What are Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default What are Spacers?

Hey All!

So basically, I need to know this and exactly this. What in the hell are spacers? What are they used for? Can you use them to lift your Jeep without spending $200.00 plus dollars on a lift kit? I plan to lift it 2 Inches I have decided and want a decent/bigger set of tires with the Soft 8's. @1996sportxj Your probably having a heart-attack reading this huh, after I said I wanted to keep it stock! Well...I just need to know what the whole big thing about Spacers is. Lots of people are telling me I could use them till I have the money for a lift kit. What are your guys's thoughts?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

a spacer is a piece of plastic that goes between the top of your coil spring in the front, it takes up more space so it pushes the coil spring down, lifting the vehicle. on a grand cherokee, you would put these on all 4 corners, since GC's have coil springs all the way around. on a cherokee, you put coil spacers in the front, and lift shackles in the rear. these locate the leaf springs farther from the car, which forces the axle down, which forces the vehicle up. i believe they have blocks that go in between the leaf spring and the axle which gives it some height too.
^^^^^^just what ive gathered from reading on CF, someone feel free to correct me if im wrong
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TABonifacio
Hey All!

So basically, I need to know this and exactly this. What in the hell are spacers? What are they used for? Can you use them to lift your Jeep without spending $200.00 plus dollars on a lift kit? I plan to lift it 2 Inches I have decided and want a decent/bigger set of tires with the Soft 8's. @1996sportxj Your probably having a heart-attack reading this huh, after I said I wanted to keep it stock! Well...I just need to know what the whole big thing about Spacers is. Lots of people are telling me I could use them till I have the money for a lift kit. What are your guys's thoughts?
It's a cheap way to lift 2"

They look like hockey pucks and you put them on top of your front coil springs to put more space between the body and your axles, giving you lift
Attached Images