Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

What to get done in a tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What to get done in a tune up?

Hey there,

I want to get a tune up done on my 2006 Grand Cherokee Jeep Laredo 4.7 4wd it has 125,000 miles on it, I have some questions:

1). I last changed the sparkplugs and air filter 1 and a half years ago, I've done around 15k miles since than, the mechanics did not add the standard recommended champion sparkplugs but rather Bosch or ngk I think...Should I change those as well?

2). What else should I get changed/done during the tune up?

Thx.

Thank you!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Your '06 4.7L should use Champion plugs. >->http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_sparkplugs.htm

Here's a WK Maintenance Schedule and info list. >->http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm

You should replace the PCV valve and serpentine belt if you haven't already done so. See above schedule.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 AM

Roger on the stock copper champions and Seafoam. Will any air filter do? Anything else need to be done? The mechanic keeps telling me the serpentine belt is good.

Ps: In the last 6 months I've flushed the engine coolant, changed the transmission oil, differential fluids, transfer case fluid, changed the PVC valve, cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

One thing I would recommend is to change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes. Most people don't do this and it leads to corroded caliper pistons and master cylinder failure. Brake fluid is "hygroscopic" meaning it absorbs moisture. This moisture will eventually cause corrosion in the brake system. The ABS system actuator is very expensive to replace.

JMHO.

One thing I've always done. My cars may not be able to GO fast, but they've got to be able to STOP!

Last edited by dave1123; 02-20-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Easywolf32
Roger on the stock copper champions and Seafoam. Will any air filter do? Anything else need to be done? The mechanic keeps telling me the serpentine belt is good.

Ps: In the last 6 months I've flushed the engine coolant, changed the transmission oil, differential fluids, transfer case fluid, changed the PVC valve, cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve.
Air filters are cheap, change them often. I use Fram.
That belt is supposed to be replaced at 60,000 miles (see the above maintenance schedule), and you have over twice that on yours. Regardless of how it looks, it's better to replace it now than to have it break on you at an inopportune time. It drives the water pump, among other things, and will cause engine over heating and possible engine damage if/when it breaks. The belt's a lot cheaper than engine repair/replacement.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 PM

When you guys say bleed the brakes, you mean just change/flush the brake fluids?

Also, for the serpentine belt..every mechanic keeps telling me the serpentine belt is good.

I bought this jeep with 165000km, now it has 200000km. It could have been done by the previous owner, the jeep was in great condition and still running solid!

How long would labor be on spark plug change and how many spark plugs does a 4.7 v8 have?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, change/flush the brake fluid. Just suck out the master cylinder and refill, then bleed each brake until the fluid comes out clean. That way the ABS system doesn't need to be screwed around with. Just keep the master topped off as you do this.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Easywolf32
When you guys say bleed the brakes, you mean just change/flush the brake fluids?

Also, for the serpentine belt..every mechanic keeps telling me the serpentine belt is good.

I bought this jeep with 165000km, now it has 200000km. It could have been done by the previous owner, the jeep was in great condition and still running solid!

How long would labor be on spark plug change and how many spark plugs does a 4.7 v8 have?

Thanks.
Suit yourself with the belt. Just saying I'd change it and remove all doubts of how many miles it has on it.
Your '06 4.7L V8 has 8 spark plugs, one per cylinder. (Some later versions have two plugs per cylinder.) How long it takes to change them depends on who's doing the work. A shop familiar with the job would be much faster than someone that's never touched this type of engine before.
The following is included as instructions, or as a reference guide for time/skill required. Hope it's helpful.

Removing plugs - 4.7L engine (2005-2007)

Each individual spark plug is located under each ignition coil. Each individual ignition coil must be removed to gain access to each spark plug. The coil fits into machined holes in the cylinder head. A mounting stud/nut secures each coil to the top of the intake manifold. The bottom of the coil is equipped with a rubber boot to seal the spark plug to the coil. Inside each rubber boot is a spring. The spring is used for a mechanical contact between the coil and the top of the spark plug. These rubber boots and springs are a permanent part of the coil and are not serviced separately. An o-ring is used to seal the coil at the opening into the cylinder head.
1. Remove necessary air filter tubing at throttle body.
2. Prior to removing ignition coil, spray compressed air around coil base at cylinder head.
3. Depending on which coil is being removed, the throttle body air intake tube or intake box may need to be removed to gain access to coil.
4. Disconnect electrical connector from coil by pushing downward on release lock on top of connector and pull connector from coil.
5. Clean area at base of coil with compressed air before removal.
6. Remove coil mounting nut from mounting stud.

7. Carefully pull up coil from cylinder head opening with a slight twisting action.
8. Remove coil from vehicle.
9. Prior to removing spark plug, spray compressed air into cylinder head opening. This will help prevent foreign material from entering combustion chamber.
10. Remove spark plug from cylinder head using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert. Also check condition of ignition coil o-ring and replace as necessary.

Installing plugs - 4.7L engine (2005-2007)

CAUTION: The 4.7L V–8 engine is equipped with copper core ground electrode spark plugs. They must be replaced with the same type/number spark plug as the original. If another spark plug is substituted, preignition will result.
Special care should be taken when installing spark plugs into the cylinder head spark plug wells. Be sure the plugs do not drop into the plug wells as electrodes can be damaged.
Always tighten spark plugs to the specified torque. Over tightening can cause distortion resulting in a change in the spark plug gap or a cracked porcelain insulator.
1. Check and adjust spark plug gap with a gap gauging tool.
2. Start the spark plug into the cylinder head by hand to avoid cross threading.
3. Tighten spark plugs to 20 Ft. lbs. torque.
4. Before installing ignition coil(s), check condition of coil o-ring and replace as necessary. To aid in coil installation, apply silicone to coil o-ring.
5. Position ignition coil into cylinder head opening and push onto spark plug. Do this while guiding coil base over mounting stud.

6. Install coil mounting stud nut.
7. Connect electrical connector to coil by snapping into position.
8. If necessary, install throttle body air tube.