Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wet passenger floorboards...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wet passenger floorboards...

Ok. I know this one has been done before...again and again and again. I think this one is different though. I have been getting water on the passenger floorboard of my 2002 GC. It seems to happen only when it rains, snows, or I go through a car wash. There are no rust (or other) holes through my floors. When there is water on the floor, it tastes like water (not antifreeze). My passenger door/window seals all appear intact. The passenger door power window/mirror electrical rubber gasket is intact. The windshield seals appear intact (verified by an Apple Auto Glass technician). I do NOT have a sunroof, however, I do have factory roof racks. The gaskets appear intact, and there is no water in/near the head liner. The gasket where the antenna enters the vehicle appears intact. I have removed the carpet (rolled it back to pass. seat) in order to test stuff. I have checked the AC valve...it appears to drain fine. Meaning, that after 1 1/2 hrs of full AC, there was no water on the floor. The drains just in front of the windshield, and underneath the windshield wiper fairing drain properly into the fender wells. I was able to get water into the vehicle and onto the pass. floor by force spraying a hose into the vent where the cabin air filter goes, but I had to have the windshield wiper fairing, and the cabin air filter vent removed, and use a hose to put more water into the tray than what the fender well drains could drain... So that seems like a stretch. I hosed down the jeep with a dry interior floor for ~10 mins, spraying the hood area, roof (around the racks), door seals, and windshield edges, and was able to get clean, clear water to pool at the front, right side of the pass. seat. It appeared to be coming out from under a floor coloured foam sealant which was tight to the door sill... But I could not get it to repeat, and it was not a huge amount of water... I get much more water when it rains/snows/etc.

Any thoughts???

I have disassembled most of the dash (on pass side), removed the climate control fan, and the carpet is out of the way. I would like to be able to fix it at home, or have a really good "It isn't this, this or this..." when I take her to the dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i think there is rust holes seeing that that is only wet when its wet outside
Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Maybe. I did look pretty hard, and everywhere that I could think of for rust holes. There is no rust underneath, and she's been undercoated (Krown) every fall. Also, if the roads are wet (but it's not raining) she doesn't get wet in the floor well.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Year: 99

rip out the carpet and take a look
Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 PM

I have the carpet folded back and out of the way, and there are no holes visible in the floorboard area.

Last edited by wolfe1down; 05-26-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: improper msg tone
Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Alright you say when it rains, or snows it gets wet... Let me ask does it get wet even if the Jeep is parked or only when you are driving it down the road during the snow or rain?? Cause if it gets wet even while it is just sitting it wouldn't be a leak issue on the floor would have to be higher, somewhere where the water sits, or a passage it runs through...
Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 PM

It will get wet even when parked.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Well then I am going to have to say unless the laws of gravity don't apply to your Jeep (Jeeps are awesome, but not quite that awesome) I don't see how the water would go up through any rust holes in the floor... so I would say you can rule that out..
Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

Originally Posted by bluedragon436
Well then I am going to have to say unless the laws of gravity don't apply to your Jeep (Jeeps are awesome, but not quite that awesome) I don't see how the water would go up through any rust holes in the floor... so I would say you can rule that out..

unless he was driving in the rain the water would kick up from the road
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Definitely no holes in the floor. I have just spent the last hour (plus) outside with a headlamp and mag light checking every nook and cranny underneath. When I say the jeep is clean I mean, it's clean. There is nearly NO rust underneath. So I think the 'hole in the floor' theory can be laid to rest.

In addition to my other posts, I found where the clear water near the pass. seat was coming from. Apparently, there had been so much water under the carpet when I had last noticed it, that it soaked in through the plastic underlay, and was laying between it and the carpet, as well as on the metal of the floor. When I folded up the carpet by the pass. seat (where it's been now for a full day) all the extra water that was sandwiched started leaking out. So, now I have no idea where the water is coming from.

As stated above, I have the dash, and blower motor removed. The carpet is now dry (ish) and rolled out of the way. It is supposed to rain tonight. I will take pics of what I find in the a.m., and post them up.

Thanks so far for all the help guys.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Have you checked for a leak around the windshield? Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 PM

Had an Apple Auto Glass Technician remove the screw on channeling on the pass. side of the windshield. He took a look and said that it was very unlikely that the windshield seal would leak, and that statistically, it would be more likely some other cause. Will do another leak test today, as last night's rain was a 'no show' (good thing we have weather reporters eh?)
Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 PM

So, I took out the back bench seat, and the passenger seat, and completely folded up the carpet. There was a significant discoloration, and mold in the floor pan of the rear passenger seat. As well, the passenger right rear seat mounting bolt was completely rusted, and there was obvious rust damage to the floor at the bolt location, although it did not rust through. The water seems to be most prevalent in the back passenger side. The carpet and insulation were wet right up to the top of the right rear wheel well. No visible holes anywhere. Just rust on the one bolt. I will post pics in the a.m.

Any ideas what could cause this much moisture? It seems a little far fetched that all that water would be caused by leakage from one seat mounting bolt...
Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 PM

Here are the pics. Caption included in picture body.
Attached Images      
Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Could you have a leak at the door? It looks like the rust is right there where the door makes a curve. Water might be running down the rubber and coming in.

Quick Reply: Wet passenger floorboards...