Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Water rushing sound in dash - 2012 GC

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry Water rushing sound in dash - 2012 GC

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Laredo that I bought new in April 2012 and have had ZERO issues with until recently. I had the factory windshield replaced in late July after a ding repair went wrong and ever since then after a heavy rain I get a water rushing/sloshing sound in my dash and the dealership has yet to find a cause. Here's the series of ridiculous events:

- July 16: First new windshield put on by SafeLite after they cracked my ding repair further

- July 18: We got a heavy rain and when I drove off there was what sounded like many gallons of water rushing and sloshing around in my frame when I accelerated and braked and my passenger floor board was wet. I called SafeLite, they were already closed, then I called the dealership who proceeded to tell me they couldn't get me in for THREE weeks. WTF? I took it there the next morning anyway and made them drain the water out. They told me that the drains were clogged and yes, it was the windshield that leaked.

- July 23: SafeLite replaced my windshield AGAIN and agreed to pay for my car to be detailed due to the water damage.

- Aug 26: Heavy rain again and go figure, water sloshing sound in my dash AGAIN!! No water in the floorboard this time and water sound is only when I accelerate the first few minutes I drive the car.

- Aug 27: SafeLite comes out to check windshield for leaks and can't find anything.

- Aug 29: Car to dealership again and they tell me they can't hear the water sound but check everything anyway. When I pick it up the guy tells me they didn't find anything, the drains aren't clogged and they don't see water anywhere. As I drive off I hear the same water sounds so I turn around, get the dealership guy to drive, and he still insists he doesn't hear anything. Tells me to bring it in for a few days so they can look at it further.

The water sound is STILL there and the dealership hasn't been much help other than to shrug their shoulders. SafeLite didn't find any leaks in the windshield, however, all of this started after I got my windshield replaced and only after it rains which leads me to believe it is related to that instead of any of the coolant/radiator or gas tank issues I've read about online. Like I said, my car was PERFECT the 15 months I had it before this, no damage or issues with anything else. I plan to take it to our local shop to get a second look as I am just blown away at the indifference our dealership has shown to the problem (it is the only one in town).

Can anyone help point me to what it may be so that I can tell them something to look at? I am NOT just going to leave water sloshing around in my car!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well in my dodge truck the water sloshing sound was low coolant level. The water flushing out the air from the heatercore when I would first start driving it as the water pump started to circulate the coolant through the system. May want to check that too.

Miles
Old 09-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0L

Heater core seems to be a common issue. If you check the hoses one should be hot and the other cold. This link may help,

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/wat...f-mind-116931/
Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Something else you can check is the water drains in the doors.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by wikiwaugh
Heater core seems to be a common issue. If you check the hoses one should be hot and the other cold. This link may help,

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/wat...f-mind-116931/
I wouldn't think the heater core would be toast on a '12 vehicle but who knows..
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Do you have to be moving? Or can you sit and rev the engine and cause the noise? We need to determine if it is low coolant level and you are hearing the water in the heater core or if there is standing water in the vehicle. If you are hearing it in the floors, pop the hatch under the seat where the battery is and see if there is water down there.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 PM

JWheeler, it sometimes makes a water noise when I first turn it on in the morning but revving up doesn't make it do it and otherwise it is only when I accelerate while driving at lower speeds.

I am not really hearing it in the floors, more in the dash/steering area on the driver's side.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l H.O.

I've seen many different vehicles with water noises in the dash. 9 times out of 10 the a/c drain under the car is clogged and the hvac case fills with the water the a/c produces. Hit the drain with a blow gun and the water should drain out.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

IDK if this is any help, but my wife's Dodge Caravan had a large air plenum in front of the windshield that had the wiper motor and linkage in it. It had two drain hoses that ran down thru the engine compartment that would plug with pine needles and crap so the plenum would fill up with water. Going around a corner sounded like a bathtub sloshing. I cured this by taking the two hoses off and just allowing the water to drain where ever it wanted to.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM

Thanks everyone. The noise has since subsided even after some torrential rains we've had so I'm thinking it's not related to the windshield after all. I don't know where the water went, if something finally came unclogged or what, but I don't hear it anymore. If it does come back, I will discuss the options y'all gave with the dealership.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM

An update: The water sound came back and came back even more pronounced so I took it back to the dealership. This time they actually did find something and apparently it was a cracked thermostat and I had been leaking coolant. They said it is uncommon for that to happen and don't know what could have caused it (I don't either, I'm sure someone knocked it or did something to it on all the other checks). Anyway, they fixed it and I have had no noise since. Just FYI for anyone else that may be having this issue.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:52 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I win! Glad you got it taken care of, that noise bugged the crap out of me on my truck.

Miles
Old 11-12-2013, 04:03 PM

Yes! It was making me crazy and angry!! And I'm 99% sure that was on my list of possibilities I told them when I took it in in the first place months ago after asking y'all.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Seasoned Member

What motor is in it? I have seen a bunch of the water outlet housings on the 3.6 leak.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 PM

I have the 3.6L V6 4x4

Quick Reply: Water rushing sound in dash - 2012 GC