Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

update and please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default update and please help

This car its giving me a headache. This is what I've done to this so far:
New tps, map, and maf
New fuel pump and filter
New to me brake booster
Tune up
So this is what its doing to me now, it wasn't starting but i figured out UT had a clogged fuel line. Its now fixed and runs smoothly at least idles. When i put it in park or neutral and lay on the throttle it accelerates and decelerates just fine but when i drive it it'll smoothly, slowly accelerate but if i try to throttle it faster it'll bog and spit at me till i let off the pedal.
My thoughts about this, bad crank sensor? Something wrong with the transmission or hopefully just a bad sensor on it. Bad cam sensor. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Please help and also please keep in mind what I've done to it so far.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Please inform us what vehicle and engine you are talking about.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Sorry, 94 jeep grand cherokee Laredo with a 5.2l 318 v8.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It may be worn spark plugs. With a large gap, the spark can "blow out" under high cylinder pressures. Or your spark plug wires aren't delivering enough voltage. Check your ignition system; cap, rotor, wires, plugs for condition.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Even if I just gave it a complete tune up a month ago? To include plugs wires cap and rotor and I also replaced that disc under the rotor..I can never remember what it's called.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You may have a clogged catalytic converter. Put a vacuum gauge on a manifold vacuum port and watch it as you drive. If you see the vacuum decrease and you start to see pressure build in the manifold you have a restricted exhaust. Or you can remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust before the cat and go for a short drive. If it feels better without the O2 installed you have a restricted exhaust. I had a Dodge pickup at the shop that would not run at all. I checked the fuel pressure and found it to drop to zero in ten seconds, so I replaced the pump. I went to start it and it still would not start, but I did notice smoke coming from the air cleaner assembly. I removed the O2 sensor that was before the cat and started the engine. It ran, not very good, but it ran. Put a new cat on it and a complete tune up, it now runs like new. Check your catalytic converter.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 PM

Ok thank you I'll give that a shot tomorrow and see what it does and give an update after.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You may have a clogged catalytic converter. Put a vacuum gauge on a manifold vacuum port and watch it as you drive. If you see the vacuum decrease and you start to see pressure build in the manifold you have a restricted exhaust. Or you can remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust before the cat and go for a short drive. If it feels better without the O2 installed you have a restricted exhaust. I had a Dodge pickup at the shop that would not run at all. I checked the fuel pressure and found it to drop to zero in ten seconds, so I replaced the pump. I went to start it and it still would not start, but I did notice smoke coming from the air cleaner assembly. I removed the O2 sensor that was before the cat and started the engine. It ran, not very good, but it ran. Put a new cat on it and a complete tune up, it now runs like new. Check your catalytic converter.
I tried what you said and it made the car run worse than it is. I'm not having trouble with idle really more the fact that the car won't shift if the rpms hit 2000. And once they do the engine spits and acts like it wants to back fire. So I'm leaning towards a transmission issue. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Thank you for the insight and idea tho.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:47 PM

And another thing. I checked the wires, cap rotor, all are just fine and look brand new. The plugs however look like the fuel mix is rich, and they have a kinda white/ light green deposit on them. Thoughts?