Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Trying to decipher 01 WJ AZC Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Trying to decipher 01 WJ AZC Codes

Finally experiencing the typical WJ broken blend door issue... Dual Climate Control, no heat on passenger side...

Per the AZC diagnostic, I have 1 current fault code...
16 = Right temperature door not responding

& historical fault codes...
51 = AI (Recirc) door travel range too small
53 = Left temperature door travel too small
54 = Left temperature door travel too large

I will be replacing the blend doors with... http://blendorstore.com/l

...Pending on the accuracy of the fault codes 16 & 51

The recirculating door is functioning... I visually verified by lowering the glove compartment & cycling the recirculating mode on/off... & I feel the air difference... If this code means there's something wrong with the recirculating door/actuator, I'm pulling the dash & HVAC box

& per http://blendorstore.com/faq...
Question - I have a fault code of #16 when I do the test, you say that is likely the actuator motor failing. I'm wondering if the broken blend door could be binding the actuator not letting it turn and have the same code.

16 = Right temperature door not responding. This is the code that indicates the passenger’s side actuator motor problem.

If the blend doors are binding and causing the actuator motor to stop, you would have the #23 or #55 - Right temperature door travel to small.

The blend doors would have to be broken for them to bind and the broken blend doors would show a fault code.

As this motor is behind the HVAC box on the firewall side, it can not be accessed without removing the dashboard and HVAC box from the vehicle.

Without cutting an access hole in the HVAC box for a visual check, you will have to rely on the Fault Code system for this actuator motor problem.

I dont have a 55... So does it mean the passenger side blend door actuator IS busted??

My other uncertainty, is code 51 an isolated issue, or is the diagnostics mis-diagnosing because of the other malfunctions??

I dont want to waste time hacking an access/maintenance hole into the HVAC box, if it has to come completely out anyways.

Anybody have any ideas/insight??
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

I had no passenger heat and cut access hole...but also had that recir error code and the recirc is working....i would think about the blend door and see what your doing to fix that ...you can buy a kit to keep the dual climate or just buy a single door and delete dual doors...there is other info on these doors at jeepforum.com

goodluck
Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

to fix the recirc properly you have to take dash partially out....unless you want to modify recirc to also stay open or shut depending on what you want....more at jf
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Been thinking & researching ALOT about how to tackle this repair... Between available kits, I decided...

Originally Posted by xj^REMY
I will be replacing the blend doors with... http://blendorstore.com/l
Other kits... Heater Treater, JGC Parts, & read there's a Mopar kit

Heater Treater has a piggyback motor that bypasses the passenger actuator, which is a great alternative to pulling the dash (if the passenger actuator is busted), but the glove box has to be "clearanced"... No thanks... I'd rather pull the dash apart

JGC is the cheapest of the Upgraded Dual Door, but I've read in a few different places that they're an imitator/inferior... But dont know the legitimacy of these accusations

I'm aware of the procedures to repair the Recirculator Door/Actuator, just unsure how accurate code 51 is... I've visually inspected & verified the Recirculator Door opens/closes... So, why does it have a 51?.. It's a historic code, so I'm thinking at some point the computer sensed an out of range motion... Possibly why the 16 is present as well, due to the broken blend door...

Main thing is, I dont want to hack up the HVAC box, if it has to be removed for actuator replacement

jomps, you said you had similar codes, & you only had to repair the blend doors? which kit did you go with?