Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd

I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 and the 42re trans. I have replaced the speed sensor, both sensors in the pan, played with the TV cable, and adjusted the bands.

Ok the problem is that when I take off from stop it will not shift into third unless I let off the gas. It does not feel like a slip it feels like it goes into neutral. I know that is a lot like a slip but I have burned a few trannys in the past in different vehicles and the slipping is not the same as this. When it finally shifts (if you do not let off the gas that is) it will throw you back because the RPM's are so high. That is why I let off the gas so that there is less wear on the rest of the jeep mainly the engine I just put in. When I first get into the jeep now that it is cold in the morning it will shift in every gear perfectly until it warms up. But to add to that if I was to drive for about an hour or so it will start shifting good as well. I know so confusing right! When I changed the 2 sensors inside the trans it was working great for 2 days then the 3rd it did it a couple times then the 4th to present all the time except when I previously stated. Everything else I tried did not make that kind of change except maybe the TV cable.

Ok the TV cable it helps but I am not sure exactly how to adjust it properly so I have tried just about every position I can get it into. It does make a difference and sometimes it fixes it for a short time. After all this my question is should I put more money into this trans before getting rebuilt. In other words should I replace the TV cable or anything you all might suggest? I ask cause I have already wasted $300 and still not fixed and I am not sure what a TV cable costs since it is a dealer item. Rebuild or try a cheaper way again?

Thanks!

Last edited by yeater99; 12-18-2009 at 07:55 PM.