Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default transmission issues

So I took my 42re down and had it rebuilt now I got it back in and am still having issue out of it. going from park to revers it bangs into gear and then to neutral is normal then to drive nothing and it is there but just barely it feels like the band is slipping and not catching. What do I adjust to get my drive gear to work and my reverse to stop its banging into gear?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

How about ask the guy who rebuilt it?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
How about ask the guy who rebuilt it?
I did. He even took me into the back of the shop and let me watch as he broke it down. He was really sure it would be the front clutch pack. He told me when he pulled it out they would be burnt up. But when he broke it down the front clutch was fine still looked new. the front clutch never engaged so he dug deeper he pulled the reverse band drum and it had blue heat marks on the drum and the band was burnt straight down the center. I asked if it was maybe the governor and he said that my model A500 did not have a governor. I am pretty sure the 42re does have a governor they just moved it to the valve body and now runs off a electronic solenoid and pressure sensor. he used air to test the band to make sure it was engaging properly and it worker but there was no valve body in the transmission when he tested it. I have been reading through the ATSG manuals I have been trying to figure out the power flow and why reverse would work but no drive. I asked the distributor I purchased my solenoid upgrade from and asked if there was any modification or fine tuning from factory specs and he replied no flash required. the hydraulic flow chart for drive first gear say that the fluid starts at the pump goes through a screen then on to the regulator valve then to the booster valve, manual valve, 1-2 shift valve, throttle valve, converter timing valve, converter valve, governor valve, rear clutch, accumulator, then to the bleed. and that's just the pressure side that should be running at 70-78 psi.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:57 PM

Well I changed the solenoid packs and got first gear out of it but still no gear in Drive and nothing in second. low first works.