Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmission issues

Old 03-05-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default Transmission issues

I hope I didn't break any rules by having two separate posts one after another.

I am a little worried my transmission might be going out... Hoping it is the fluid or something else... Sometimes when it shifts it kind of lightly Jerks forward nothing excessive nothing too hard just a light bump forward almost barely can't tell then once when I put it in reverse it delayed before it went backwards just a second it seems to honestly not have issues when overdrive is off so not really sure what could be the issue. I tested the fluid and it is brown tinted not pink or clear idk if this could be the issue want to do a drain and refill of fluid filter and gasket but kind of want to know If anyone knows or has any ideas? Am I totally screwed? Would you try and change fluid? Why other things to check before I buy new tranny? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There is one thing about jeep transmissions you should know and it is written on the dipstick. Check fluid level warm, idling in neutral, not park. It makes a difference of around a quart, and the 42re trans will not shift properly one quart low. The reason for this, I've been told, is the pump will not pressurize the converter in park. If you went to Valvoline or Jiffylube or someplace like that, they look at you like you've got 2 heads when you tell them to check it in neutral. Tell them to read the stick!

It sounds like you need a filter and fluid change. How many miles on it? When you drop the pan, look at the magnet and for any debris in the pan. It's a good indication of the health of it. A very fine coating of grey on the pan is clutch friction material and a slight VERY fine coating of black sludge on the magnet is steel from the clutch pressure plates. When you clean the magnet, you should not see any slivers of metal, just black mud that stains the shop towel.

Also remember that the pan only holds about 4 quarts of a 9 quart total. In order to change it all, you have to do it multiple times or go for a complete fluid transfer. You can get a gasket from the dealer that you can reuse many times. It's a bit pricey, but I've used mine 4 times without leaks. Don't use any sealer on it. Also, don't use anything but ATF+4.
The following users liked this post:
BryanE (07-17-2020)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 AM

ok good to know! thanks for the response. i actually checked in park lol i will check again. also in the manual it says atf+3 type 7176 for my 4.0l straight 6 is that wrong?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by dave1123
There is one thing about jeep transmissions you should know and it is written on the dipstick. Check fluid level warm, idling in neutral, not park. It makes a difference of around a quart, and the 42re trans will not shift properly one quart low. The reason for this, I've been told, is the pump will not pressurize the converter in park. If you went to Valvoline or Jiffylube or someplace like that, they look at you like you've got 2 heads when you tell them to check it in neutral. Tell them to read the stick!

It sounds like you need a filter and fluid change. How many miles on it? When you drop the pan, look at the magnet and for any debris in the pan. It's a good indication of the health of it. A very fine coating of grey on the pan is clutch friction material and a slight VERY fine coating of black sludge on the magnet is steel from the clutch pressure plates. When you clean the magnet, you should not see any slivers of metal, just black mud that stains the shop towel.

Also remember that the pan only holds about 4 quarts of a 9 quart total. In order to change it all, you have to do it multiple times or go for a complete fluid transfer. You can get a gasket from the dealer that you can reuse many times. It's a bit pricey, but I've used mine 4 times without leaks. Don't use any sealer on it. Also, don't use anything but ATF+4.

Ok. So it has 237k miles on it.i checked the fluid with the car running and warmed up and in neutral and barely registered much fluid at all so obviously there is a leak? i will flush and fill and put new filter and gasket i hope its the gasket that would be leaking idk about transmissions at all.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Old fart with a wrench

IDK what manual you're using, but the factory service manual specifies ATF+4. This fluid supersedes ATF+3 and has additional high sheer strength additives in it to resist high temperature breakdown. Being 2 quarts down will cause it to not shift solidly and be late in engagement.

There are several places it can be leaking from, most noticeably from the pan or cooling lines. Then there's the rear seal which will drip from the vent hole in the bottom of the transfer case adapter, or the torque converter seal which will drip from the bottom of the bellhousing. Then there is the seal around the dipstick tube. That's about all I can think of.

Jeep transmissions don't use a vacuum modulator like older trans do. They are shifted by governor pressure and solenoids. 3rd gear is direct 1:1 and 4th is overdrive. They have a lock-up converter that engages to reduce slippage and heat created by the converter. It reduces the rpm by about 10% on lock-up. My lock-up died about 100K miles ago and I still get 27 mpg on a steady highway run without A/C or hills.

With that many miles on it, it would be advisable to change the axle and transfer case fluids. I would recommend 75W-90 in the rear diff unless you will be towing or driving in the desert, then I'd use 75W-140 Synthetic. The front diff uses 80W-90, but I used the same synthetic I already bought for the rear. The t/case uses ATF+4, again unless you have Quadratrac which requires a special lubricant.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Separate posts are no problem because they are two different questions. The ones that get me are when someone posts the same thing 3 times because he didn't get any response yet. You have to look at the number of views to see if anybody wants to bother to post!

Very often bad descriptions, bad grammar, spelling, and run-on sentences turn people off. I know, it's hard to post from a phone.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-06-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 PM

Ya idk i have 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo it says for the 4.0L L6 use ATF +3 AND for the 4.6l v8 use atf + 4 but if +4 is better ill use it.. ok ill look into that as well.. im buying transmission fluid filter and gasket.. should i buy new pan too? just wondering if you would? thanks bud for the help.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:39 PM

I just bought a new filter a new gasket and a new pan just in case hoping that eliminates the issue. when i put the dipstick in i try and push it in all the way and it pops back up a bit i dont know if that is normal on these seems like it should be a tight fit.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 AM
Old fart with a wrench

IDK, but I've been told it's normal and acts like a vent. I think it's BS myself.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 AM

Ok and yea I agree
Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM

Model: Cherokee

Hi, other than what Dave pointed out there may be a leak in the transmisson cooler lines, at the trans or at the radiator. You should be able to see fluid on the ground, or wetness on the transmisson or behind it, the fluid could blowout while the vehicle is in motion. The transmission fluid could also escape into the engine cooling system through an opening inside the radiator. If that was the case you should be able to detect transmisson fluid mixed in with the coolant inside the coolant reservoir or inside the radiator. That isn't common but it is possible.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanks Tony! im going to jack up the jeep and see if i can see where a leak might be present
Old 03-07-2017, 12:55 PM

someone just told me they got rid of ATF +3 and now I'm supposed to use ATF plus four even though the owner's manuals specifically States + 3
Old 03-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Yup! I doubt you'll find 3 anywhere.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:54 PM

Think i found tranny leak lol is this it? Would this be gasket?
Attached Thumbnails Transmission issues-20170307_135158.jpg   Transmission issues-20170307_134509.jpg   Transmission issues-20170307_134457.jpg  

Last edited by Hostile_Drunk; 03-07-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Search this Thread