Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Transfer Case?

Ok, I found this forum today and I really need some advice before I spend all this money to fix my Jeep.

I have a 1999 JGC Limited 4x4, 4.7L V8 with the Quadra track system. I have already spent over $1200 on useless repairs trying to fix it and I am so tired of wasting my hard earned money.

I took my Jeep to the dealership and had a CV Joint fixed last year and also had the fluids changed in the axles and the transfer case, then soon after those repairs, I started hearing a loud roaring/whining sound coming from the front end. I took it back to them and they said it was a bad wheel bearing and it set me back $600. I did the repair and it was pointless, made no difference. So I took it back, they replaced the other wheel bearing, another $600, still...no luck. The noise is now getting worse.

It is a loud whining/roaring sound once I get up to highway speeds. I can feel a vibration in the gas petal and in the steering wheel once I get up to speed. In the mornings when it is cold outside, the noise is not there, it is quiet. Once the Jeep warms up, then the noise comes back. Also when you turn to the left in a curve or something, the noise stops again. Which to me indicated the wheel bearings (which is why I paid the $$ to have those repairs done). The noise has gotten worse over time now.

Anyway, I took it back to the dealership again, and now they are telling me that the gear in the transfer case has gone bad...Is this real...? The repair is going to cost me around $1100 and I cant afford another repair that doesnt fix my Jeep. The guy at the dealership told me it was safe to continue driving it for as long as I wanted, that it was not going to get any worse, that the parts that were broken, all needed to be replaced anyway. He said that it was not causing damage to anything else. I dont know if that is true or not.

I am not a mechanic by any means, but to me it sounds like the axle or something. It also does a slight popping sound when turning to the left. They assured me that the axle and all was ok, that it was the transfer case. I dont know....please...somebody HELP ME!

I am really hoping someone out there can give me some advice and help me. I will pay for the repair if that is the problem. I just dont have the money to waste on another BS repair.

Thanks for any help!
Heather
Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

From what you have posted I'd say the problem sounds like it's in the T-case no the front axle..

Also if it is in the T-case as it sounds to be. The more you drive it the worse it will get...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks Nick. I will probably try and do the repair soon. I want to take my Jeep on vacation this year to the beach and in its condition, I just cant. Thanks for the advice...I really do appreciate it.

Heather
Old 02-17-2009, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

A quick trick to help point you in the right direction. Crawl under the Jeep and grab the Yoke(where the front drive shaft attaches to the T-case) and see if you can wiggle it. That will be the first key if you can wiggle it that there is big problem..
Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM

You talking about the really large shaft that connects to the transfer case itself. If so, yes, that does have quite a bit of play in it, I noticed that when i was washing the mud out from under there a few weekends ago.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Nick, you know the Grands better than i... could this be a viscous coupler issue i read about? I'm gonna research this.

Heather, whereabouts are you located? Maybe we can suggest an honest mechanic who you will find more affordable than a dealer. That $600 wheelbearing job per side is very expensive, like all dealerships.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Ya the large shaft that goes from the front axle to the transfer case. If that wiggles up and down, than you have a bad bearing in the T-case and will cause alot more problems the more you drive it.. And depending on how long it's been bad you most likely have other problems in the t-case now..
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM

I am from Rocky Mount, NC. I took it to Farris Motors.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Great....

Its been messed up for about a year. I have been getting the run around with the mechanics for a while now. It doesnt move up and down, but does move from side to side. Like you can turn it a few degrees with no tools, just by hand.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Nick, you know the Grands better than i... could this be a viscous coupler issue i read about? I'm gonna research this.

Heather, whereabouts are you located? Maybe we can suggest an honest mechanic who you will find more affordable than a dealer. That $600 wheelbearing job per side is very expensive, like all dealerships.

It could be, but if there is drive shaft movement up and down than she has lost the front bearing also. I would get the viscous coupler started going out adding powdered metal into the T-case causing the front bearing to die..

And ya a location would be great we can hopefully point you to someone that can help you out..
Old 02-17-2009, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

I would say see if you can find a Four Wheel dive shop near you. A dealer will almost always be over priced..

Plus a Four Wheel drive shop will know the t-case better than the dealer..
Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Ok, I will ask around with a few of my friends and see if they know of anybody. I live very close to my job and I have only been driving the Jeep back and forth to work. I mean like maybe 6 miles a day. I have been careful with it. So maybe, hopefully, there is not much more damage done. I love my Jeep. I want to get her fixed up like new again.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

I posted a help for you in the regional area of this site. So we'll see if another member can help better point you to a mechanic or help you out in the trouble shooting..

See post I made: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...030#post126030
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM

I probably should mention that I live on a farm, with a dirt path, mud holes, nasty....But its a jeep...right...it should be able to handle that stuff. I am not going to lie, I do drive it hard, but not since it has been messed up.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:44 PM

Thanks a bunch you guys...I am very grateful!

Quick Reply: Transfer Case?