Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Sudden Uintended Acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Sudden Uintended Acceleration?

Hey, is everybody!? I'm new to this Jeep World. I recently purchased A Grand Cherokee Lauredo 2005. I'm happy I found a forum with people who share the same interest on this vehicle. I do have a concern though, maybe someone could some light on it. I have about 2 weeks with my vehicle. In the last week while backing up either to do a broken u turn or to back up into a parking my vehicle has been acting funny. Sometimes while in th process of shifting from drive to reverse the jeep has jumped back, once the engine was revving and the last time the vehicle shot back about three empty parking spaces almost hitting the nearest parked car to me and my foot were on the brakes when this happened. I immeadeatly took it to the Dealer and they said they have never heard of a jeep vehicle lunging in Reverse while the foot was on the brakes. They checked out the vehicle and said there was nothing wrong with it no check engine lights or anything else so they dismissed it.

At this point I still love my vehicle but I feel unsafe driving it, so Im rather dissapointed. This prompted me to do research on the net and what I found was jaw dropping. Sudden Unintentional acceleration is more common than I thought. Especially in a Jeep Vehicle! It killed a person in a carwash and has made people drive off bridges.I was discouraged to find out how Jeep Vehicles have bad reviews from people even though it's a well known company that has been around for a while and the streets are flooded with these vehicles. I asked myself if I had made the wrong choice, I wanted a reliable vehicle.

What I found out though that alot of the accidents were due to Driver error from the gas and brake pedal being too close. I thought this could be a possibility. But I never confused the brakes for the gas, everytime I was going in reverse I had my foot firmly on the the brakes pumping it as I slowly let the car roll into position. And it seemed that when it shot back my foot was still on the brakes and remained there until it came to a stop. I also took it to an empty street and tried to replicate. Maybe my foot was on the brakes but leaning over touching the gas pedal as well. I tried it and it seemed similar amazingly the car moved while my foot was still on the brakes. Also I thought I might have done this since when going in reverse I would twist my body turn my head back to look out the back window. It seems that like a possibility but it still doesn't take out of my mind that my Jeep acted like a wild stallion that I wad trying to train. What's your take on this? Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried? Thanx in advance
Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8, Dual cold air, dual batts, E-fan, Sanden OBA

Just try to keep track of your feet better I guess
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Is it an auto or a standard? Pretty sure in the automatics there is a sensor that tells the engine to rev a bit when you put it into gear, maybe its gone bad...
Never experienced a such thing in my XJ, nor have I ever heard about it.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 AM

It's Automatic. Hey, Ive driven other Cars and I never experienced anything like this. That time that the engine revved up it sounded like there was a monster under the hood.. Lol., I mean Im not scared of my Jeep I just don't want to back up into a pole or something or be somebody elses hood ornament. Let alone hit an unsuspecting pedestrian. I also read something In the manual that caught my attention. It was a warning that when your shifting from drive to reverse or vice versa to let ur vehicle come to a full stop before shifting to either or. Neglecting this might cause the vehicle to lunge forward or backwards at an uncontrolled speed hitting objects or people that deserve it. No but all jokes aside. That warning is there except for the part about the people that deserve it of course. Which made me wonder the reason why you have to wait for a fullstop before shifting again. Because I do my parking in a back to back motion, slowing down, but not waiting for the complete stop but stepping on the brakes just so I can shift back and forth. The last time when the vehicle lunged back I was letting it roll back with my foot stepping on the break from time to time then all of a sudden it took of like I floored the gas pedal. All while going back!

Last edited by Blueflame1979; 05-23-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

try fitting two size 13 eee shoes in the small area allowed for three pedals i have numerous time reved the motor while applying the brakes
Old 05-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 5.2

My buddy had a xj with the 4.0 the motor mounts were shoot causing the motor to move foward when backing up not sure if that's your problem but never hurts to check
Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 AM

Thanx Ill look into that. Mines didn't move forward, it shot in reverse while the gear was in reverse while my foot was still on the brake pedal.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Blueflame1979
Thanx Ill look into that. Mines didn't move forward, it shot in reverse while the gear was in reverse while my foot was still on the brake pedal.
His motor moved foward. The linkage to the throttlebody would pull making it act like he was giving it gas.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

OP If it isn't driver error (i.e. foot on gas and brake) I would try to get a second opinion with another dealer. It may a possible malfunction of the IAC or defective sensor. Normally if the PCM sees you put it in gear it increases the idle to compensate...but not like you described.

Originally Posted by Zj heep
His motor moved foward. The linkage to the throttlebody would pull making it act like he was giving it gas.
Was the throttle cable sheath not attached to the throttle body bracket?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Was the throttle cable sheath not attached to the throttle body bracket?[/QUOTE]

On his xj the cable is a solid rod from the tb to a mount on the inner finderwell crappy setup so when the motor moved it was like hitting the gas. That was a 4.0 89 xj
Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Ah

Sounds dangerous
Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

There is a history of unexpected accelleration with Jeep Cherokees. Back in the early 90s there were quite a few people claiming there was something wrong with their Cherokee that caused them to run into the garage door, into buildings, into other cars, ect. After a very in depth investigation it was found to be driver error due to the placement of the gas and brake pedals.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

If I'm not mistaken he posted this on another forum a while back & got run out of there ...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I question the veracity of the OP.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
If I'm not mistaken he posted this on another forum a while back & got run out of there ...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I question the veracity of the OP.
Uuuummm my apologies if this was not referring to me, but Im a new member who posted this for the first time and my facts are straight as far as I have years driving and never experienced anything like this, that's why Im confused and trying to get to the bottom of it. Again my apologies if It wasn't referring to me.

Yeah ZJ now I understand what you mean when I reread your last post.

I took my Jeep to an empty lot yesterday and tried to replicate what happened, pretty much everything is good. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. I mean if it is a good thing then great! I was wrong and I can continue without paying mind that I could end up in somebodies living room... Set.. But um if indeed it's not then Its a surprise waiting to happen. But Im positive I guess I got other stuff to worry about for the moment. Thanx everyone on your input, Ill keep ya updated.