Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stiff acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stiff acceleration

Evening everyone,

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I own a 2008 grand Cherokee 3.7 liter V6. Recently the acceleration has seemed stiff/weak/sluggish. I feel as though I almost have to mash the accelerator I order to get her going! The check engine light isn't coming on, the gears are shifting normally, there's no engine noise or rattling or ANYTHING that anyone other than the day to day driver would notice.

My jeep has 92000 miles and hasn't missed a routine oil change, ever. It feels almost like it's almost starting off in a higher gear however shifts normally. At high speed it still feels like I need to press a bit harder on the gas to get moving.

Over the weekend I did a fresh oil change and took her out.... No change. I changed the air filter, topped off a few fluids ( windshield/brake/ power steering ) . I then cleaned out the throttle replaced all 6 plugs and immediately everything was back to normal again!!! I drove from Columbus to Cincinnati and she felt good as new. The jeep felt light again, power steering felt better and the acceleration was much more responsive. I could tap the gas and move again!

I wak up this morning to go to work and......... Back to stiff/sluggish/weak acceleration and tighter steering.

Could I have an issue with a piston or one of the cyclinders not firing up? Am I running on only 5 cycllinders, intermitenly?

Few side notes, I don't know anything about cars really, it hasn't been above 20F here in months and I have no aftermarket parts and the exhaust flows normally.

If anyone can offer any idea on what this is before I take it in, please let me know. I'd like to exhaust all possible "weekend projects" before spending the dealership price $$$$