Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stalling, out of ideas... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalling, out of ideas... Help!

98 gc 4.0. About a month ago my zj died at a stop sign, then the stalling got far worse from there.... Been sitting in the garage since. Replaced tps,cps,ckps,map and ignition coil. I replaced the ignition coil today and it didnt die out for about an hour of straight stop-n-go driving. Then it stalled at a stop sign. It was a big improvement compared to dying/stalling in 10 mins of driving.. I dont want to spend 350 on a Pcm, thats the last thing on the list to replace. Thinking about getting electrical cleaner and spraying all the connectors. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Check/clean the IAC?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
Check/clean the IAC?
yeah I forgot to add that. I cleaned it and landed up replacing it for the hell of it, because why not?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8

As silly as it sounds, try cleaning the battery terminals and cable ends. My 99 GC was doing something similar, would not idle and my gauges were going haywire. They looked fine from the outside, but there was corrosion/crud between the post and cable end that I couldn't see until I took them loose.

A couple minutes with some 80grit and I didn't have a problem again.

Worth a shot and pretty inexpensive, eh?
Old 11-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by Polish
98 gc 4.0. About a month ago my zj died at a stop sign, then the stalling got far worse from there.... Been sitting in the garage since. Replaced tps,cps,ckps,map and ignition coil. I replaced the ignition coil today and it didnt die out for about an hour of straight stop-n-go driving. Then it stalled at a stop sign. It was a big improvement compared to dying/stalling in 10 mins of driving.. I dont want to spend 350 on a Pcm, thats the last thing on the list to replace. Thinking about getting electrical cleaner and spraying all the connectors. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Couple of ideas . . .

Agree with rangermonroe about the battery cables.

I read a post on JeepForum (sorry if it violates policy to mention that) where the guy used a dental pick to tighten the connectors in his PCM plugs and fixed his problem. He poked in behind them and pried them closer together so they held tighter on the pins on the male half.

I had a dying, spitting, backfiring, sometimes wouldn't restart for a while problem on my 97 4.0 GC. I noticed the wiring connector for the Crank Position Sensor had exposed wires for the last 1/2 inch (this was the wiring harness half of the connector). I taped around each of the 3 wires so they couldn't touch and I haven't had the problem since (knock on wood).
Old 11-17-2014, 09:43 PM

I just recently bought a 96 GC 4.0 having the same issue but much worse. I realized tonight that the Trans fluid was barely on the dipstick so I added a quart and so far it seems to run better. Just a thought.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by rangermonroe
As silly as it sounds, try cleaning the battery terminals and cable ends. My 99 GC was doing something similar, would not idle and my gauges were going haywire. They looked fine from the outside, but there was corrosion/crud between the post and cable end that I couldn't see until I took them loose.

A couple minutes with some 80grit and I didn't have a problem again.

Worth a shot and pretty inexpensive, eh?
I cleaned the terminals and i havent died yet lol. Problem is I put a band-aid on the pcm the same day (zip tied plugs) so idk what fixed it.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: v8

Awesome!

But don't worry, you will sooner or later! :P