Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalling issue

Hello everybody!
I'm brand new to the forum and absolutely love my '93 GC. Lately though, when I drive and need to decrease and then increase speed, the engine simply dies and the steering wheel becomes ridiculously hard to turn. The gas pedal won't do anything yet the electronics in the car remain perfectly alive. My instincts tell me its a fuel pump issue, but I felt I should try to get a little more info on the problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:13 PM

Sounds like this could be related to a number of issues. I went through this with my 96 grand recently. Some issues to think about are crankshaft sensor, throttle position sensor and intake air controller. I did all that, nothing changed. My issues cleared up when I had the jeep running and found that when I wiggled the three plugs into the PCM (computer), the jeep would stutter, or even die. There are posts on that issue, a widely recognized problem and relatively easy (and virtually free) to fix - resolder contacts on internal circuit board. In addition, I found a loose conncetor in the line between the battery and the power distribution center (under hood fuse box). Start your beast and wiggle some things to see what happens. If you get some stumbling, you could start with using spray electronics cleaner to clean connections and applying a very light film of dielectric grease - that's cheap.
Also - to clarify, your ride dies, but all the accessory instrumentation remains powered, right? Steering will be difficult, just because the engine is not turning and proving power to the power steering pump.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 w/K&N Intake

Originally Posted by Dr J
If you get some stumbling, you could start with using spray electronics cleaner to clean connections and applying a very light film of dielectric grease - that's cheap.
Dielectric grease is an insulator not a conductor, you shouldn't put it directly on connections (pins or spade connectors) prior to connecting them. It's meant to be applied after to seal the connection and prevent oxidation.
If you want something to enhance connections try using something like Stabilant 22, it's a bit pricey but it works.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input everybody. After running the Jeep and doing some serious research on it, the crankshaft position sensor is the most likely culprit.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Default fixed

It was the crankshaft position sensor. I finally got the time to replace it and the Jeep's been running like a champ. Even took it a ways down the highway and off road on a camping trip with no issue.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 PM

Default Nevermind...

Well, taking it just down the road in town and it dies on me, just like before. Not only that, but it sometimes will only turn over, not start. What befuddles me is that after I replaced the sensor it miraculously worked perfectly and then failed after a week. Oh, and its not the fuel pump, checked it and it works fine. I keep hearing about something called a ballast resistor.
I could seriously use a hand here.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 w/K&N Intake

In the process of replacing the CPS you most likely moved/jiggled a connection that is intermittent. Did you try testing the connectors at the PCM as suggested by Dr J? That's a very common issue.
Since you say the fuel system is fine then you must be losing spark, another issue that's not uncommon is the connector on the primary side of the coil.
Also check your O2 sensor wires to make sure they haven't become chafed or melted and could be intermittently shorting to the chassis or exhaust.