Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Shut off issue !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Shut off issue !!

Ok. First off im new here so HI everyone.

Vehicle:
1994 Grand cherokee laredo
automatic, 4.0L I6

Problems:

I sometimes cant start the jeep when sitting in drivers seat, yet sometimes it will start. when it wont start i get off the seat and stand by it, reach over to ignition and it starts . Installed a fuel pressure gauge on fuel rail and when it starts its beautiful, checked pressures and its perfect also with and without the vac line, but yet when it shuts off the its due to pressure drop even with a brand spanking new OEM pump from the dealer since i get discounts.

Ok heres the tricky one so be ready for it because i am a import pro and cant even figure something thats probably simple to you here.

When I start it up its fine, then i place it in drive and im good for hrs even days until i run out of gas. Yet I put it in reverse wether its cold start or after driving for any period of time, it shuts off. i went back and checked fuel pressure and while looking at the gauge i put it in reverse and fuel pressure drops and thats what makes it of course shut off. BUT, BUT, when i see the pressure start to drop, while holding the brake with left foot, i tap the gas about 2/3 throttle and it comes back up n down up n down n so on.

I have changed the Fuel pump with a brand new one from dodge twice so i know its not that. changed all the relays up front even the abs one with new ones numerous times.

I dont get it, I tell my wife the d*mn thing is posessed or i kick it callin it racist (im PR'cn, lol) and she laughs which aint funny but i guess it can b..lol

Any help whatsoever that i can even try a junkyard here which has tons of jeeps of all yrs and models, so i can try some parts off running ones there.

Im sick of it and thats why i have a beater accord, its easier for me to work on and its cheaper but she loves it and thats why i wanna fix it, plus the thing is sweet in all weather.

Please help, you can email me at forcefedeg@hotmail.com if it makes it easier or at aim: ohsofast01

thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Hmmm, anyone know anything i can try at all?
Old 04-04-2009, 04:48 PM

nvrm i fixed it
Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

what was it?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by RRAM
what was it?
Stupid fuel pump, for some reason after 2 new oem pumps the only one that worked and still running is an autozone one thru my shop account at discounted price..lol.

It was weird tho because i could hear it turn on when i put the key in it and put the switch on run position so the dash lights came on. But wasn't enough to pressurize the system and give fuel flow to engine. Aside that i love the jeep, wouldn't trade it for anything, not even a 90'g suv..haha