Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Shift interlock

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Shift interlock

My key will not turn and my shifter won't budge. My local dealer said to manually disengage the shift interlock, but i don't know what I'm looking for. 2000 grand Cherokee.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

The shift interlock is an electric solenoid on the shift linkage that locks the shifter until you step in the brake. IDK why it would interfere with the key turning except the key won't turn off enough to remove the key until it's in park. This solenoid is under the console on the shifter. Try pushing on the shifter hard toward park, then try the key at the same time. This solenoid is activated thru the Body Control Module and requires a signal from the brake light switch. Also, make sure the key is fully inserted into the ignition lock. If it is, you should be getting a chime when the door is open. If not, there may be a problem with the ignition lock. OR the BCM.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-14-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Default Problem in similar area

Hey folks, I've been having a problem that might be in a similar area to this thread.
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 automatic

I can start my vehicle and shift with no problems but when it comes time shut off the Jeep, I can rotate the key enough to do that but not enough to remove the key. I went like this for a month and would just leave the lone key in the ignition while locking my vehicle. I recently learned that i can have full function of the ignition cylinder but only when the shifter is in any other gear but park or neutral. Friggen weird.
Could this be a shift interlock problem?
This occurred without intentional modification by myself, nor did I perform any maintenance of any sort when this problem surfaced.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, it could be a shift interlock problem, but I don't have a clue as to fixing it.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:51 PM

yeah, at least it is still functional for meow. Just a few extra steps during shut down. it's really embarrassing when i forget to move it from reverse to park again. I has only happened on flat surfaces so it has always been right where i left it. only a matter of time when the hill is too much for my hand break. *gulp
Old 12-08-2018, 08:07 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default XJ will not shift out of PARK

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (XJ)
Will not shift out of park. The interlock seems stuck. Does anyone know if there's an emergency release button for the interlock or a wiggle & jiggle technique? This happened a few years ago and I tried a few times and then it worked fine.
I'm just hoping to drive the car to a Dr Appointment then to the Jeep dealer on Monday. Thank you for any ideas.

**FOLLOW UP**
I had the Jeep towed to the dealership. They dissembled the shifter, cleaned and lubed it. Now it works perfectly. $270... could have been worse. They didn't hook the back light up so it's hard to tell what gear it's in at night but they said to bring it back in and they'll fix it.
Side note I called for a tow and requested a roll back truck and they sent a conventional tow truck. The driver told me to always request a roll back for the Jeep GCL. I did! They had to tow it backwards and then dolly the front wheels.
We get a lot of compliments on our XJ-GCL. We've maintained it in like new condition. The Jeep dealer called when the work was done and asked if we ever use the vehicle as it looks brand new inside & out.

Last edited by dawjaw; 12-14-2018 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Follow Up - Resolution of problem