Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

questionable lift on my 95 grand cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question questionable lift on my 95 grand cherokee

Hi there~ I just got a 1995 grand cherokee limited that has a 4 inch lift on it, took it in yesterday to a mech. who said he was concerned about the lift and that it was a questionable home job. My question to all you is how much would iit cost to have to lift taken off? And, what can of worms might I might be opening doing so? Thanks so much
I just realized I posted in the wrong place, again as my name inplies I am new to this, am here for help, and yes I am a girl, lol

Last edited by newbie jeep owner; 09-27-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: posted in wrong place oops
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Can you take some pics of the setup? Underneath, shocks, could, axles, steering.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
Can you take some pics of the setup? Underneath, shocks, could, axles, steering.
x2 pics will help tremendously
Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Did he say why it looked questionable?

They could be trying to mke money off of you...
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM

i tried to send pics from my phone to my email so i could put them on here, it is not workin, pm me ur email and i can try to email them you?
The mechanic specifically was concerned about the springs not being put on correctly and the fact that the guy used PVC piping, yikes! is what that makes me think, and the the left back arm was crooked. There was another guy there at the shop who drove it and came back n said dont worry just get a few things fixed. So I am not sure and I need a safe vehicle, I have two kids that I run around all day.
The reason I chose a Jeep is because I live in Reno NV now and comin from the bay area I wanted something that I feel safer in the snow and ice. I researched vehicles in the range I could afford and Jeep was the one I wanted. Some people are saying I made an unwise decision, but I am hopin I didnt!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Just upload em from the app???
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Red face

I feel so completely stupid right now, arghhh, ok i tried to upload em and they are too big, I have a old phone, not an iphone haha, so don't know how much help I can expect, i will try to figure it out. In the meantime, I am having tires put on and new rotors so if it was a bad purchase at least I can resell it as a safer vehicle than when the guy sold it to me, and yes I understand I should have had someone look at it before i got it, I already heard that from my hubby!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Specifically what are you talking about when you refer to the pvc pipe? We will be able to help you out more when you get some pics..youll prolly have to crop em a bit if they are too large.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 1998

Have a photobucket account? Upload them there and paste the Link here.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 PM

the pvc pipng is on the part that the springs attach to on the top . The mech. said that the whole thing could fall apart....but the other guy said it was ok, I honestly thought the other guy knew more than the mech. He seemed to anyway, he said it was normal for the arm to bend that way especially when the jeep is up, then when they lowered it it wasnt so crooked.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by newbie jeep owner
the pvc pipng is on the part that the springs attach to on the top . The mech. said that the whole thing could fall apart....but the other guy said it was ok, I honestly thought the other guy knew more than the mech. He seemed to anyway, he said it was normal for the arm to bend that way especially when the jeep is up, then when they lowered it it wasnt so crooked.
Do you mean the bump stop?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

if you have a crooked arm you may just be snapping bolts that are attached to the chassis pivot point but otherwise it's really not too bad if the arms are adjustable, easy fix.

as for the piping, sounds to me.like a.home made bump stop, again, not a problem. if ur.driving.ur kids.around id get that arm straightened out for.peace of.mind. pictures will really help though
Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM

yes it is the bump stop, so do u all think it should be ok if its homemade like this? Is this normal to use pvc piping? Thanks so much for your replies
Old 09-27-2012, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by newbie jeep owner
yes it is the bump stop, so do u all think it should be ok if its homemade like this? Is this normal to use pvc piping? Thanks so much for your replies
I wouldn't worry about it. Hell, I haven't had bump stops in years. All the bump stop does is limit the suspension compression, unless you're going to be out rock crawling it you'll be fine. I would get that rear link looked at if you can't get pictures uploaded here.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM

You should try to find a shop that installs lifts and have them look at it. Mechanic or not if its some old dude that just works on civics he may not be familiar with lifted trucks. Bump stops are not gonna put your passengers in jeopardy. Mine have rotted out on me. wheeled the heck out of it in colorado and still never had an axel bottom out. they're good to have but if your not doing anything extreme you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: questionable lift on my 95 grand cherokee