Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Problems need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Problems need help

So I had my transmission rebuilt about three years ago. I just had my rear differential and transferase rebuilt about a year and a half ago. During that time I asked the mechanic to change the front differential fluid. He checked said it was good and left it alone. I trust this mechanic he has done a lot for me. I just noticed a rear seal on the transferase was leaking and took it in to get replaced.

Problems need help-image-2295832313.jpg

Now he tells me he hears grumbling and growling noises in the front diff.

What are causing all these problems? I baby this jeep. It's a 99 WJ LIMITED 4.0 with only 118k. I don't even have a hitch on it, it didn't come with the the tow package so it has never even towed a thing. I want to know what causes these problems so I can prevent them from happening if that's even possible I guess...

How long can I go without rebuilding the front diff? Can I just change the fluid more often and run it?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The transfer case seal is a normal wear item. You can polish the sleeve of the driveshaft to help seal it. If there is a wear groove in it, you might consider replacing it. Every time you go over a bump, the sleeve slides in and out. When the rusted part slides into the seal, it helps tear it up.

Try pulling the front diff cover and inspecting the gears. Adding a friction modifier may help extend it's life.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-09-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dave1123
The transfer case seal is a normal wear item. You can polish the sleeve of the driveshaft to help seal it. If there is a wear groove in it, you might consider replacing it. Every time you go over a bump, the sleeve slides in and out. When the rusted part slides into the seal, it helps tear it up.

Try pulling the front diff cover and inspecting the gears. Adding a friction modifier may help extend it's life.
What's a friction modifier?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:29 PM

Year: 95

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee99
What's a friction modifier?
Its the addititve you put in a limited slip differential. It basically makes the fluid "slicker" to allow limited slip clutches to slip and not bind. Adding something like this may not help at all but if anything it might prolong the life slightly.

Was the mech confident the noise was inside the diff? Could it possibly be from a wheel bearing, u-joint or driveshaft etc?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jnicewan

Its the addititve you put in a limited slip differential. It basically makes the fluid "slicker" to allow limited slip clutches to slip and not bind. Adding something like this may not help at all but if anything it might prolong the life slightly.

Was the mech confident the noise was inside the diff? Could it possibly be from a wheel bearing, u-joint or driveshaft etc?
Ya he was confident. I dnt have U joints. He already rebuilt my transmission, Transfercase, and rear diff. So how long can I go before fixing this? Will it cause damage to other things?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Year: 95

It really depends on what is causing the noise. Most of anything inside a diff will eventually cause more damage the longer you wait and eventually it could cause complete destruction of the complete axle.

Im not trying to scare you into replacing anything now but without knowing specifically whats causing the noise it would be difficult to assume what might be wrong with it and how far it will make it. Some people get by with noises for years and others might only last days or weeks.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

New boat payments will make a mechanic's ears more sensitive and customer's vehicles in need of expensive repairs.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bustedback
New boat payments will make a mechanic's ears more sensitive and customer's vehicles in need of expensive repairs.
Lol. I had the rear diff bad and I can hear the same noise in the front around 30-50 mph so I know it needs to get repaired eventually.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994

All the diffs with aluminum housings tend to get bad bearings due to the differences in expansion rates between the steel parts & aluminum parts. Also is your jeep AWD? If so running different brand or tires with different wear can cause the front diff to cook itself due to the 2 axles turning at different speeds. The smaller diff (front) will fail before the larger (rear) one.

Miles
Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

IMHO, pull the cover and eyeball it. Check for "silver" fluid caused by bearing deterioration, spauling on the gear teeth, backlash, whatever. My rear axle whined for 2 years before it started growling, then I knew it was finished.