Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default please help

I have recently bought a 2000 grand Cherokee limited. It is v8 4x4. When going down the road,it starts to jerk real bad. Almost uncontrolled. I replaced rotor and put new pads on the front. But soon after, it done it again! Then seen smoke from passenger side with the smell of burnt brake pads. I have read, there was a problem with the brake caliber on this year. Double cylinders. I really need to fix this. What can I do?. Please help
Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 AM

Is your check engine light on?
When does it jerk? Eg, when you slow down, speed up, are coasting?
There could be a bad diaphragm in your brake master cylinder. Or the caliper could be bad as well. If the check engine light is on check that first. Then go from there.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 AM

Check engine light did come on. After installing parts. But after a brief stop at a market, it was off. My wife had experienced the bad shimmer twice, but only when brakeing. Yesterday after installing rotors and brakes, it done it on a flat surface traveling at roughly 35-45 mph without brakeing. And it jerks real bad. Almost uncontrollable. We really need to get this fix soon. Any help would be very appreciated
Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There is one other thing, you can replace the brake HOSE! Sometimes if the caliper slips out of your hand and hangs on the hose, it will tear the hose internally causing a restriction to the fluid returning to the master cylinder. Then while driving it down the road, the pads rubbing will heat up the fluid in the caliper to the boiling point and set the brake.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 AM

Thank you so much for your help. I will check into that. On further inspection this morning, I noticed a really bad tie rod end. I mean it was about to fall apart. I went and purchased a new one, and explained to him what was going on. He said they called that the wobble of death lol. Told me I should check the stabilizer on the steering. So I took it off while changing the tie rod end, and it was busted. So I replaced it too. I drove it around all afternoon and it drove like a dream. But I know that has nothing to do with the brakes smoking out. I will check hoses etc tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The tierod end was certainly a problem and one of the contributors of "Death Wobble". This is more a condition where the whole vehicle begins to shake violently and sometimes you can't even control the steering direction.

The steering damper really doesn't do much to control this. All it does is reduce the "Kick-back" of the steering wheel when you like hit a rock with one wheel. I drove my ZJ for 2 weeks without one and I had bad ball joints at the time.

I was introduced to death wobble in a Wrangler at 45 mph with a sharp turn coming up. I finally got it stopped in the wrong lane inches from the guardrail! It wasn't even my jeep!

There is a whole list of things that cause death wobble. Just about any looseness in any component in the front end can start it, even tire balance.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by rickybobby75
Check engine light did come on. After installing parts. But after a brief stop at a market, it was off. My wife had experienced the bad shimmer twice, but only when brakeing. Yesterday after installing rotors and brakes, it done it on a flat surface traveling at roughly 35-45 mph without brakeing. And it jerks real bad. Almost uncontrollable. We really need to get this fix soon. Any help would be very appreciated
Ok take it in to any chain auto parts stores like AutoZone or pep boys, they should be able to pull old codes from it and tell you what they are. Get those codes and see if they match any of the symptoms you're having.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 AM

thank yall so much! the death wobble has died!. tie rod end fixed it, plus i went ahead and installed a new damper,because the old one was busted. it drives smooth. i found out how to get codes by turning switch on and off 3 times. i had a p-0203,p-0206,p-0303,p-0306. which are two fuel injectors faults, and two cylinder misfires. but funny thing is, it runs smooth with lots of power?