Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Please Help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8 Hemi
Default Please Help..

A while ago i was hearing a rubbing sound when making sharp left turns. sounded like it was coming from the rear passengers side wheel. Took off the wheel to inspect, everything was soaked in oil, (jeep dealer told me months ago i needed to have my real axle seal/bearing replaced but forgot about it)

Went to Meineke they told me BOTH axle seals needed replaced, got the work done, noise went away completely. 2 weeks later the Rubbing noise when i make left turns is back.

I replaced my front drivers cv shaft, and in the process the caliper fell pretty hard on its line, and now the ABS light is coming on and randomly ill get a vibration in the break pedal. *starts pulling hair out*

Today I had time to check it out underneath and found this..

I Just replaced this CV shaft a few months ago, what could cause it to go bad?

I sometimes get a clanking noise when at full turn in reverse, and also hearing a metallic noise coming from underneath..

Last but not least my power steering fluid is leaking all over the engine compartment! Something is going wrong, and i don't know if these are all caused by the same problem or individual problems.

I don't want to start fixing things until i know whats going on, i dont want things to keep braking.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

That is the wrong half shaft if you have abs. There is no toner ring on it. Of course that only explains the abs issue...

Maybe take it some where and get it looked at for the noise and occasional pedal pulsation.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8 Hemi

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
That is the wrong half shaft if you have abs. There is no toner ring on it. Of course that only explains the abs issue...

Maybe take it some where and get it looked at for the noise and occasional pedal pulsation.
When i bought the new shaft, i did notice it was about a half inch shorter.... But i didnt think too much of it... Im not a mechanic. What is the toner ring? Since this isnt the right shaft is that the main reason why it failed after only a few months? And when i replace it am i going to have to replace the fluids its leaking? Thanks for the reply
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

The toner ring is on the end of the shaft, by the brakes. It is what the abs sensor reads to tell it what wheel speed is for abs to kick in.

I dont know if the problem was it failing was it being the wrong shaft, they should of been the same length no matter what.