Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

overhead and (?) display issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Just That Awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default overhead and (?) display issues

93 GC:

I have two displays that do not function and I want to fix them but I have no idea where to begin and my repair manual doesn't seem to have it.

I shined my flashlight into them because they have never worked and I do not know what they do. The overhead appears to be for tempature, mpg, etc. The lower is by shifter and seems to be for the 4WD?

I imagine it could be fuses, or maybe the previous owner cut the wiring (had a lot of custom stereo stuff he took out). Where's a good place to start? Or some specifics on these displays.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Just That Awesome

Bump. Don't see any bad fuses, can someone tell me which fuses control them so I can test for powr?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Engine: 5.2L V8

The display by the shifter is called the Vehicle Information Center (VIC.) It displays the 4wd status, what doors are open, and alerts you to things like oil level, coolant level, washer fluid level, and more. It should be fuse #8 in the fuse panel by the passenger door. The overhead console should also be on that same fuse, but I'm not sure, I don't have an overhead console.

The VIC could have something wrong with it besides not getting power, the way to test it is to press and hold the Set and Select buttons on it, and turn the ignition on. The VFD display in it can be cracked but the rest be working, if this is the case, you will hear 6 beeps from the chime. It might also just be unplugged by a previous owner who was tired of the error messages and beeping it produces!

For the overhead computer, the service manual I has says to hold the Set and US/Metric button while turning the key ON to initiate a self-diagnostic procedure. Press and hold the button until all segments light up (but it shouldn't take too long.) If it does that, you've got power.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Just That Awesome

Thanks for the info, will check it out in a bit
Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default BCM

'97 Grand Cherokee. Have power to the overhead as the Elapsed Time works, but nothing else...Temp, Miles, etc display either a "0" or "-". Someone I think said it could be the Body Control Module. WHERE IS IT? Does this sound right?