Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Options for adding Aux Input

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Options for adding Aux Input

I'm looking at adding an Aux input on my 2006 Grand Cherokee (6 disc changer). I'm looking for the cheapest (but still easy enough for me to pull off) solution I can find. I know there are adapters out there that will plug into my empty satellite radio input and there are more expensive FM Modulator adapters that will also charge my android device.

I don't really care about the charging part as all I really want is the ability to plug in my phone/mp3 player. My question is will something like this work?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607FMDA...ml#details-tab

I know with the more expensive modulaters there is a switch you can install to toggle between your radio and MP3 player but this one looks like it will automatically switch when the MP3 is not connected. Is this a feasible option? I'd probably get another cord that is female to female to connect here and mount on my dash so it would look better. Am I way off base here?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2l

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think a simple FM transmitter would be simplest rather than an adapter. I got a Griffin transmitter off of Amazon for about $10. I can take it from vehical to vehical, works with any device that has a headphone jack, and has a USB port on it in case you might want to charge your device.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Creature85
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think a simple FM transmitter would be simplest rather than an adapter. I got a Griffin transmitter off of Amazon for about $10. I can take it from vehical to vehical, works with any device that has a headphone jack, and has a USB port on it in case you might want to charge your device.
Thanks for the response...maybe they've gotten better but the transmitter I had before was pretty spotty. This would theoretically be better because it would wire directly into the radio so it it will work, that would be my preference.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM

I think theoretically this will work but my concern is that in the instructions it says to set the radio to a station in your car and then set the output station of your satellite radio to the same. Because my phone/mp3 player just outputs and there is no setting similar to the satellite radio...will the adapter recognize the signal coming in and broadcast it on the radio. If so how will it know what station to broadcast to (or when turned on will it broadcast to any station)?

Last edited by mizzou541; 07-10-2013 at 01:58 PM.